This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Still not clear on when to click "easy"

Started by Cameron Williams, November 21, 2016 · 10 Replies · 334 Views

Cameron Williams

I posted about this previously and Coach basically said it's a judgment call, but I still find myself wondering at point do I choose "easy"?

For example, today I did 4x18s for the planche lean. By the end of the 4th set, it was challenging, but I was by no means at the end of my work capacity. I did a 5th set for good measure, and same thing again - challenging, but I could probably muster 1-2 more sets. 

So would I mark easy for this one?

Or are we waiting until the volume feels like a breeze and we're hardly even challenged any more, even at the last set?

I find some exercises easier to assess in this regard, such as FL/PE2. It's pretty clear when my form starts to falter and eventually I just completely run out of gas and can't do the movement any longer. But I find it more challenging on other exercises to have such a clear assessment.

Any guidance here is appreciated.

Thanks!

Cam

Alessandro Mainente

HI Cameron you can use my idea: do all the sets, if in the last one you can easily perform the prescribed seconds + 2 sec this is easy and you can move on.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Cameron you can use my idea: do all the sets, if in the last one you can easily perform the prescribed seconds + 2 sec this is easy and you can move on.

I would imagine that we could substitute seconds for reps on relevant exercises?

Cameron Williams

Thanks guys, you're feedback is appreciated. 

I'm still not clear though. What is meant by "easily finishing +2 extra seconds"? What is considered easy? Is it just a matter of maintaining correct form, no matter how hard it feels?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I think he means that you could technically do MN/PE1 for 5 sets of 15 reps and then on the last set you could foreseeably do 17 reps and not be worn out too badly. Same goes for FL/PE1 for 5 sets of 60 seconds and then on the last set you hold it for 62 seconds. Seems pretty intuitive, no?

Cameron Williams

I feel like I understand it 80%:lol:

I get the idea of testing past mastery - that makes sense to me. But what level of exertion is considered "easy"? This is my basic question (particularly on "holding" exercises). If I can get to 62 seconds on the last set of 5x60s, but that's my utter max and I collapse after 62s, is this considered easy?

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I would say so. You were able to achieve the mastery requirements. I really think you're overanalyzing this notion. If you can do more than the required mastery of an element and your form/tempo are good, I would save that as easy and move on. I'm not a forum coach but that seems to be what I've read everywhere else. 

Cameron Williams

Haha you could be right Daniel. I might be over analyzing. 

I was just hoping to get a more precise definition but I'll take what was given.

Thanks again,

Cam

 

Guido Franchetti

Hi Cameron, I would also say do not over think it. It is important not to move to the next PE until the current one is really mastered, but if you happen to misjudge the easiness and get crushed at the next workout, then press the hard smiley and go back to the previous step, no big deal.

Cameron Williams

Good point Guido! Sound advice :)

Keegan Yentsch

On dynamic exercises tempo is also important. If you are really within 2 reps of your absolute max (which will usually be a slow grinding rep), then in my experience you would usually have lost some tempo on the last rep (at least). So, IMO (and as always I'' not a certified GB coach) "easy" would constitute all sets and reps for a given Step +2 with good ROM and tempo.  

I also agree with Guido that the "too hard" smiley is always there if you bite off more than you can chew. It also depends on how hard you are comfortable going on a regular basis, your recovery, stress, diet, and genetic factors. Personally I'm ok with falling short of a Step's goals by a few reps or seconds, working hard, and then staying there (clicking "fine") till my body adapts to the new volume. Obviously though, if it's for Mastery/Step 9 then I'm not moving on till I hit Allesandro's recommended "intensity" guideline.