This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Swivel Hip question

Started by Jeff Donahue, November 21, 2016 · 5 Replies · 186 Views

Jeff Donahue

So I've been at this one since I started in September.  They aren't too bad now but still not at the ground.  But here is my question - I can do the 5x15 reps of Scap Shrugs, and have been able to for a couple of weeks.  So while I continue to work on Swivel Hips (I figure at least 4 more weeks on these based on my progress so far) should I still continue to do 5x15 reps of Scap Shrugs (which honestly now feel pretty easy) or should I do more sets/reps of these to make that exercise more challenging?  I potentially could do them slower as well I guess which might make it more difficult.  Just wondering what everyone else that got stuck on this did(I cant be the only one that struggles with swivel hips).

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Donahue

Okay, another question - given that swivel hips is a sticking point of mine, (and also maybe Jefferson curls, but I haven't submitted a video on those yet), I currently have F1 and H1, but was considering buying myself one of the stretching programs for Christmas - which one would be most beneficial to help me get through these two particular sticking points?

Douglas Wadle

middle splits would be the best one for swivel hips.  Front splits for JC's. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Jeff,

Adding on to what Douglas said, I typically suggest front split if you can choose only one. Of course all three stretch courses is your ideal option.

Also, for hip swivels, add the modification Wes describes in the technique tip video into your warmup, cool down, and daily limber.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Definetely do more reps! That s what I do when I get stuck due to mobility or just want some more endurance.

 

Ronnicky Roy

Do the scap shrugs on a 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down tempo, with strict form and double up on mobility. What I found helped me most with swivel hips was 1. Put the outside leg down first, before bringing the other leg down into internal rotation and 2. Flex the foot outward of the leg internally rotating just before bringing it down. For me that seemed to make sure the pressure of the stretch stayed in the hips.

I also do a single set of swivel hips as a daily warmup regardless of if I'm  working out.