This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic bridge series - start for beginner

Started by Gabriela Halas, November 21, 2016 · 9 Replies · 232 Views

Gabriela Halas

HI Everyone,

Trying to improve my shoulder and thoracic mobility I decided to purchase the thoracic bridge series. Imagine my disappointment when I realized, oh wait, I can't even do the first videos... Rocking Table, Supine shoulder extension, seal stretch - these are SUPER hard for me. How should I best be approaching these - or this stretch series in general? Am I supposed to do the same amount of reps for the time allotted for each stretch video (do what the person in the video does)? Spend more time on some then others? I watched the full 45 min bridge video and got very excited ( I will be able to do this one day!) , but then the singular stretches made me feel horrible.

I, like many others I have seen on this forum, am trying to couple this with other training I do.. crossfit (although willing to lessen that for sure), weight training (from power lifts, to cleans (forget the Olympic lifts for me), to accessory work)... should I have purchased Foundation 1? I was in touch with Sales for a bit and want to give GST a real go, but so far am just unsure how to start.

Any and all help is appreciated :)

Gabriela in Alaska

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Gabriela  ,my personal suggestion it is try to perform the stretch series, if you look for the singles exercise in the course page you will notice that there are some suggestions on how to scale it. 

so please do the session, take note of your limitations on the exercises, tell me where do you feel more limited and I can give you an idea of what to practice a bit more.

Gabriela Halas

Hi Alessandro!

I just received another response that told me to go start the Fundamentals. Since I do not really know what is contained in Fundamentals it's difficult to know where I would be in that program. Although from previous communication with GST staff some others suggested either Foundation 1 or the Thoracic bridge, due to the fact that I sent in some assessment videos and have decent ROM in other areas of my body and am familiar with basic gymnastic moves and holds (hollow body, v-ups, dips, rings dips etc). Hence me getting the Thoracic bridge.

Anyways so you are saying I should still follow along the single stretch videos? I didnt really see where there are progressions or scale suggestions but perhaps I did not look in the right spot.

How much time should I allot for this daily? Roughly? And again follow the amount of reps and time spent as shown in each video?

Thank you so much :) !

Everett Carroll

Hey Gabriela,

You should use the follow along video when performing the series. The scaling information is found in your course library, below the available workouts section. I suggest studying this section before beginning the follow along, which takes approximately 45 minutes. Perform this series once per week and no more. 

Even if you are familiar with basic GST positions and movements, there is still a lot to be gained from working through Fundamentals before beginning Foundation One. I suggest beginning your strength training with Fundamentals. 

We are always here if you have more questions!

 

Gabriela Halas

Hi Everett,

Ok that is helpful. I will explore the scaling options today. By "do the series no more than one a week" you mean the single stretches or the full thoracic bridge 45 min video (with it being scaled)?

I will definitely consider purchasing Fundamental then. I know many people want to combine GST with their other training, but it also sounds like one should strictly focus on GST and scale the intensity down. How do you decide how to direct people - I guess it depends on their goals... but balance for people who dont want to leave behind their other training is a challenge. 

Thanks so much!

Everett Carroll

Hey Gabriela,

I was referring to the follow along video. The individual videos are for preparing to perform the follow along.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Gabriela, 

Let me see if I can help. All the stretch series are intuitively really hard, to help lessen that load and make them easier there are "technique" tip videos for each exercise/stretch when you go into 'my available courses.' Therein you can click on whichever singular stretch is really kicking your butt and be able to receive some suggestions for how to make it a little less intense or more feasible. Then, the suggestion would be to go back and when you do the follow-along video you follow-along with each stretch (for whatever number of seconds or reps that is called for) with a range of motion that works for you. The technique videos are helpful, and Alessandro is also offering to help, by explaining and highlighting how to best reach a range of motion that works for you. So, you would do the follow-along as is, but you would substitute moves that are hard for you by doing the move with range of motion that makes it doable and not too intense. I hope that makes sense and that I'm not rambling.

Gabriela Halas

Hi all,

Yes that all makes sense :). Last night I made a couple videos of my shoulders which I will post in a little while here, but what I will start doing is working on the technique single stretch videos and then follow along the full "bridge" video once a week (as suggested) with the modifications that I need to make. 

What is your opinion on me also starting Fundamentals?

Thank you!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If you have decent form in hollow body, v-ups, and dips, I think you'd be good to start on Foundation 1

Gabriela Halas

My perception of myself is that I do but perhaps I will send in some assessment videos :) Can't hurt to have some opinions on that!

Thank you - everyone has been a big help :)