This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Measuring progress

Started by Edward Norton, November 21, 2016 · 4 Replies · 210 Views

Edward Norton

I ended up here, because I wanted to touch my toes in what I now know to be a pike. I don't think I've ever been able to do this, even as a kid. I've decided to measure my progress using photographs and a few yoga blocks. I have 10 inches to go, so one flat (4") on top of one on it's side (6"). 

This got me thinking, what other photos can I take to see my progress? What are you doing? 

And besides the obvious - weight, %fat, waist size, what else should I measure?

 

IMG_0085.jpg

Only 90º to go!

Mikey Cunanan

Hi @Edward Norton

Other than what you listed one of the best measures of progress is quality of movement. In addition, ease of movement is a very good measure as well. 

These two measures will correlate with quality of life, which for most of us its the main reason why we exercise in three first place. 

I hope this helps! 

Good luck on your journey! 

Justin Poyser

A photo from the front will also help with technique advice. I don't know if you've completed the fundamentals course yet but I think it's a fantastic start for mobility too as covers a more broad range of body movement.

Peter Krutý

I heard a good suggestion from Tim Ferris. Measure yourself around biceps (both), around breasts, around waist, around thighs and add those numbers together. Then watch that sum number as it will be more sensitive to improvements in your body composition. 

Marcus Patterson

Looking at your picture your legs seem to be bent, is that the case? If so try straightening them and then going down, pushing your knee backwards to maintain correct posture.

Onto your post, I don´t really have any record from the beginning and as progress is pretty slow and increases in strength and flexibility so minute, I only wish now that I had logged some progress as I cannot really remember now back to where I was when I started compared to now.So yes it is a great idea.Use video too for dinamic stuff.