This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE5 + iM

Started by Petri Widsten, November 19, 2016 · 26 Replies · 320 Views

Petri Widsten

I'm treating the PE as a floor handstand 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Petri, suggestions follow:

-try to avoid wrist extensions on the PE.

-IM it is a bit critical, here the point where you have to work:

1) as you approach the vertical position the shoulders must always elevated

2) while moving backward your right shoulders begin to elevate before the left, this type of asymmetrical movement must be avoided. grip and weight must be adjusted in order to correct the problem.

3)if you stop at 5 second the IM video you can clearly see that you are sticking the ribs out and this it is not permitted and the bar it is diagonal with one hand lower than the other, again hands distance and weight must be adjusted to correct this problem.

Petri Widsten
6 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Petri, suggestions follow:

-try to avoid wrist extensions on the PE.

-IM it is a bit critical, here the point where you have to work:

1) as you approach the vertical position the shoulders must always elevated

2) while moving backward your right shoulders begin to elevate before the left, this type of asymmetrical movement must be avoided. grip and weight must be adjusted in order to correct the problem.

3)if you stop at 5 second the IM video you can clearly see that you are sticking the ribs out and this it is not permitted and the bar it is diagonal with one hand lower than the other, again hands distance and weight must be adjusted to correct this problem.

Hi Alessandro 

Thanks for checking. So wrists straight? Is that what you mean?

On the iM the distance is 71 cm (shoulder + 1 hand each side is 73 cm for me). The reps with the previous distance of 76 cm also had that slight asymmetry at first. With a bit more getting used to the new distance it will disappear.

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, wrist straight . 

Before moving to the new distance the previous asymmetric movements must be completely solved.

Petri Widsten

 

@Alessandro Mainentehere is the previous distance  (76 cm). What distance would you recommend I train with? Note that I have to adjust my grip to fit the rims between my fingers.   

Alessandro Mainente

If you stop at 2 second you can see the right shoulder begins the elevation while the left it is still down. please try it in front of a mirror, sometime to correct imbalances it is enough to control smoothly the movement.

Matthew Hanham

The return leg is more symmetrical/even than the outgoing leg, so its probably a skill/activation thing rather than a mobility issue.

Petri Widsten

Cheers Alessandro and Matthew. I'll try it with a mirror. I think it's just a coordination thing but it's better to be sure. I trained in front of a mirror before and sometimes the 'imbalance' kept shifting from one side to another in a set : -)

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro Mainente

These are my latest attempts. I hope any deviations from ideal are within tolerances and I can reduce the iM distance back to 71 cm. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

During the dislocate you need to have the shoulders fully elevate in the overhead position prior to begin the posterior part of the exercise.

Petri Widsten

 

better then 

@Alessandro MainenteI tried to make the elevation more obvious. Is it better now? Also, this distance (76 cm) is between 1.5 times shoulder width (80 cm) and shoulder width + one hand either side (73 cm). Do I still need to go to 71 cm which is the next shortest distance the bar allows me to grip?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Petri you need more attention, if you stop at 17 sec you can see the right shoulder closer to the neck compared to the left. I understand that the progress are slow but being symmetric it is extremely strong. you need to stretch the left chest and lat a bit more.

Petri Widsten

Hi @Alessandro Mainentesorry but I don't know what you mean by right shoulder closer to left. At 13s the bar is horizontal above my head and all looks symmetrical. Is that something you see just in the 2nd rep?

Alessandro Mainente

I corrected the previous post. lock carefully to the image below

asimmetrical.png

As you can see the movement it is still asymmetric. you see it form the bar which is not horizontal, one shoulder it is more elevated.

Petri Widsten

Hi Alessandro

I see what you mean now, thanks for pointing it out. The camera is also skewed slightly to the left as the bar is aligned with the horizontal wall and ceiling beams. I'll try to "mind the gap" from now on :-).

After I've eliminated the gap should I stay at this grip width and start to build up the weight or should I go to 71 cm?

Alessandro Mainente

while holding the same weight, fill the gap and reduce the grip. then begin again with a new weight. ALWAYS work this way.

Petri Widsten
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

while holding the same weight, fill the gap and reduce the grip. then begin again with a new weight. ALWAYS work this way.

At some point I want to stop reducing the distance, do the mastery, and progress but continue to build up the weight at that final distance. That's why I was asking whether I still need to go to 71 cm or whether I can stay at 76 cm. 

Alessandro Mainente

The correct process on the elements which involve a weighted bar it is the following:

-for very tight shoulders no weight or only little weight

-find a stance where you can perform CORRECTLY the exercise with no imbalances and begin from here to build up your 5 reps

-reduce the grip until shoulders distance + on hand on each side and master 5 reps

-add 1-2 kg and begin on finding a stance where you can perform correctly the exercise and build up to 5 reps

-decrease the grip session over session until the desired stance as cited before

-begin again by adding weight.

Petri Widsten

Perfect. Thanks Alessandro.

Petri Widsten

Have I improved sufficiently, @Alessandro Mainente?

 

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Petri Widsten, huge improvement. Avoid arching your lower back though. At 0:06 even with your shirt, I see that you are pushing your chest out and in return arching your lower back a bit. Keep on refining your dislocate.

Alessandro Mainente

I want to see shoulders touching the ears are you reach the "overhead" position.

Petri Widsten

Thanks Leo and Alessandro, eventually I'll get it right!

Petri Widsten
On 13/02/2017 at 0:43 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

I want to see shoulders touching the ears are you reach the "overhead" position.

This is as close as I can get with a full shrug, Alessandro.

 

Leo Trinidad

huge improvement @Petri Widsten. 

i would just want to add that you should not push your head and chest forward (0:04) 

keep on refining this. until now, even if i have freestanding handstand i still continue to refine these dislocates.