This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hello!! New here, and need some advice :)

Started by Henning Blom 243536, November 19, 2016 · 3 Replies · 104 Views

Henning Blom 243536

Hello everyone. This is my first post, and hopefully not my last haha. 29 year old from Sweden.

I just have some questions regarding my training. I have been doing calisthenics for some time and I really enjoy it. I can already do some moves like bar muscle ups, pistol squats, BL with supinated grip, one leg FL, L-sit and so on.

I bought the foundation 1 course. Lots of money, but hopefully worth it. I understand that I should address any weak links I have (I know I have them, so that is also why I decided to buy the course), but I need to know what to do in my situation. Now I haven't had any problems with pain, or injuries, but I am a bit ahead when it comes to strength, if we are going to compare to the flexibility exercises (stiff leg windmill was tough, and the table is hard to hold at a flat level for time). What should I do here? Should I try to keep gaining strength and flexibility at the same time, or pause and just maintain my strength, while improving my flexibility? I haven't tried all the strength exercises yet, so if I'm weak at some of them on F1, should I do them?

Also I seem to not be able to get a straight arm, I miss about 15 degrees to a full 180. Even a full BL will not make my arms go straight. When I "lock" my elbows, something in my elbow just stops them from going further. Not the same feeling at all in other movements where I lack movement. As far as I can remember, my elbows has always been like this, so could it be something with how my elbows are working, or is it just simply a lack of flexibility on my part? What can I do?

Sorry for all my questions, but I feel like I need to know. Thanks in advance! :) 

Everett Carroll

Hello and welcome Henning!

These are good questions. To be sure you progress in a safe and balanced fashion, remain on a given progression until BOTH strength and mobility elements are mastered. Do not skip ahead to more advanced strength progressions until your mobility catches up. Allowing your mobility to catch up to your strength will more than likely fix the issues you have with not being able to lock your elbows. 

Your best course of action is:

1) Train the basic exercises to begin closing the gab between your strength and mobility.

2) Submit form checks for your strength and mobility exercise before moving on to a new progression. This will ensure proper execution and range of motion. 

3) Begin the stretch courses (front split, middle split, and thoracic bridge) to more rapidly improve flexibility and mobility. 

Please let us know if you have any more questions! We are always here to help. 

Henning Blom 243536

Thank you Everett. I'm still confused if I should maintain my strength or not. Is it a problem to maintain, when I haven't experienced pain or injuries?

Is BL and L-sit covered in foundation? I can't find any information regarding these two.

I'm considering the thoracic bridge course next then since I cant afford all the courses. I guess that would be a good pick in my position? That move seem to cover shoulder mobility to a great degree. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Henning!

As Everett mentioned you should remain on a given strength element until you've mastered the integrated mobility. This will allow you to maintain your strength at the same time as you catch up on your mobility. In order to remain injury free it's important not to neglect the mobility elements. 

Body Levers and L-sits are covered later in the Foundation series in the Front Lever and Manna progressions. 

The Thoracic Bridge course is great to start with. Especially if your shoulders are tight. This course will definitely help target your issues and make exercises like table and stiff legged windmill easier :) 

Feel free to submit a form check of strength/mobility elements!