This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow burning issue

Started by Leigh Kettle, November 18, 2016 · 4 Replies · 149 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hi guys

I want to apologise in advance for the long winded post but I wanted to make sure i gave all the Info to any of you prospective helpers out there. 

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I wondered if could get anyone's feedback on my particular situation

Before purchasing foundation 1 and handstand 1 in October of this year, I had trained (self taught) in calisthenics for around 3 yrs (I'm 37) although admittedly I'd find myself reading your forums in order to help my development with certain skills etc.

Throughout my calisthenics years I would suffer flare ups of elbow pain that would come and go and which I now know was due to insufficient preparation in the first place . The latest issue I had from the summer of this year flared up the day after I did a body lever  without proper warm up on an implement that was far behind my usual grasp. The next day my elbows hurt right on the bony prominence (or funny bone) as if I'd banged it and it was bruised yet there was no swelling or anything which I found strange .it just hurt bad in that specific area only when I would push up off the floor or attempt a pull up yet it never really caused any strength losses and I was still able to train and hold things like front lever etc .   

This has subsided a little since starting foundation 1 and it was an injury I had never had before 

 The usual elbow pain I would experience would be the classic bicep Tendon issues I'm sure most of us are aware of. 

As im now enrolled on GST I have literally stopped all my usual calisthenics work now , that is my planche progressions , front lever , side lever, rings, pull ups etc that i was previously training and I just do the foundation one 4 times a week and handstand 1 a couple of times coupled with my stretch series once a week. 

Ok to the crux of my post .

As I am able to do handstands I wanted to keep practising these so I did one  session last week  . I've always locked my elbows well in all my straight arm work and whilst doing this said session Last week I experienced quite a lot of discomfort and burning in both my elbows, when I would release my grip from the floor. 

As my training has completely gone back to the very foundation of GST I'm somewhat confused as to why I had so much pain more so than I thought I seem to ever remember having before . This pain is still present When I perform some  every day tasks a few days later and I'm most reluctant to do anymore handstands yet i used to do these daily without any issue  . 

Do any of you have any similar experiences or things you did that may help me . I have used my lacrosse ball and self massaged and the whole area feels nicely bruised now lol but still the burning whenever i hold and/or release my locked elbows  against resistance, even doing my Scap push ups during the foundation 1 PE. .tonight I did some band twists where I would put the band apart to create tension on the band while twisting my wrists as in starting a motorbike alternately . When I released the tension the burning is quite apparent 

I understand I may be told to back off from my training but from what I used to do there couldn't be any more of a drastic back off to what I'm doing now with these first few weeks of foundation 1. I would have thought that after taking such a huge back to basics step I'd be feeling less pain and not more. 

I have to add I'm just so pleased I've started my GST journey and tell everyone I wished I'd started sooner . I'm so eager to do well with it and progress the proper way so this elbow issue is one I wanted to bring up with you guys to see if you could guide me in the right path early on

Many thanks for any of your help in advance and once again sorry for such a long post 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Leigh not too much to say, you have a chronic injury which has never been cured properly and of course you will never recover properly if you do not stop immediately with painful movement.

the first thing you have to do it is to check a physioterapist in order to know what do you have and if necessary have a specialist exam like echo.

Leigh Kettle

 

:/( :-( 

And I'm booked on to  the upcoming forma workshop which incorporates handstands :-( 

I'm gutted to say the least but thank you and appreciate your reply alessandro 

Leigh Kettle
On 18 November 2016 at 10:04 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Leigh not too much to say, you have a chronic injury which has never been cured properly and of course you will never recover properly if you do not stop immediately with painful movement.

the first thing you have to do it is to check a physioterapist in order to know what do you have and if necessary have a specialist exam like echo.

Alessandro

how are you man ?

just a little update and further Info required if you may 

when you say that I should " stop any painful movement"  im finding that my rope climb pe1 (ring rows ) and hBp full push ups don't cause me any pain whatsoever  when performing the movement. Should I consider this ok even tho I'm trying to heal my elbow tendon issues . 

I've currently started using the theraband flexbar which seems to be making things even better but during day to day activities there are certainly still very  minor  "twinges" when my elbow is bent and lifting for example a weight . I'm not sure whether even tho no pain is experienced i should still be doing ring rows and push ups etc 

Just wondered what your thoughts were on this 

many thanks 

Leigh 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Leight nice to hear thtat, well NOT-painful range of movement are currently exercises you should include,controlled tempo, partial rom if necessary at the beginning.