This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Seiza stretch and shin splints

Started by Lindsay Blamire, November 18, 2016 · 4 Replies · 122 Views

Lindsay Blamire

Hello!

I am a chronic stuffer of shin splints. Since starting this front splint series (2 weeks now) I have noticed how difficult the seiza stretch is for me - by far the most difficult for me in the entire series! I cannot keep my heals together and lean back. I'm sort of in an awkward lean forward position in order to keep my heels together...

Anyways, does this lack of mobility likely contribute to my horrible shin splints!

Thanks!

Lindsay

Everett Carroll

Hey Lindsay,

That is totally normal in the beginning. You are doing just fine. Lean forward and support yourself with your hands for now if that's what you need to do to keep your heels together. Over time, you will be able to sit up higher and not need to support with your hands. This may be part of why you are getting shin splints! Be patient, consistent, and remember not to push too hard in any given stretch session. Keep your effort level around a 3-4 out of 10. Keep it up!

Mark Schoenhard

Are you doing anything to treat shin splints?  I prescribe the young, cross country runners I coach a regimen of high rep toe extension and flexion to strengthen shins.  Best standing with toes hanging off an elevated surface.  Three to five sets of 50-200 reps, three or four times a week.  It's dreadful, but keeps them on the trail.

Julia Quigley

I tie my ankles together for elevated seiza and rest my knees on a bolster to get me elevated. I can focus more on the stretch when I'm not struggling to pull myself up into the stretch and hold it the whole time. Maybe doing something like that would help you. 

I'm sure when my ankle mobility improves, I'll be able to do it without supports. 

Mark Schoenhard

Placing a stretch block or a rolled up yoga mat between the hamstrings and calves requires the muscles needed to keep heals together to become active.  Over time as you gain strength and mobility you can pull the block out further until it is unnecessary to use at all.  I tried for months using a yoga strap and as soon as tried removing I would be back to where I started.  Using a block has trained ROM and now I only need a block for elevated seiza.