This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curls

Started by ZACHARY WATSON, November 17, 2016 · 6 Replies · 145 Views

ZACHARY WATSON

On the Tim Ferriss podcast coach mentioned jefferson curls are like breathing. Is it ok to start these right away? How often to actually do them? Sets/ reps? Thanks!! -Zach

I would love any form critique/ tips

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Zach,

Thanks for the submission! I recommend starting off with a much lighter weight. Begin with 5-10 pounds and, over months, slowly increase the weight. I suggest staying on the same weight for at least 3 months before adding more.

Take a similar approach to frequency; for now, start off only doing these once per week. You can add a set in after your core workout, when you are already warm. Once you reach the next MN progression, you will begin training these more seriously.

For your form, here are my suggestions:

1) Work on relaxing your upper back and shoulders even more as you feel each vertebrae curl one at a time. Let the weight hang low.

2) Since your deepest point is roughly a 90 degree hip angle, slightly bend your knees at that point. This is the most stressful position for your back. Lock them again as soon as you start curling back up. Once your pike improves and you can further close your hip angle, you are safe to keep your knees completely locked for the entire rep. 

3) Keep your core tight!

I hope this helps. 

ZACHARY WATSON

Thanks Everett! I was just in Flag taking my wilderness first responder, was bummed I didn't get a chance to come train with you. Hopefully I can come down again sometime soon. 

 

Everett Carroll

Let me know Zach!

Anthony Del Balso

Everett

I also have added these in based on recommendations from Coach Sommer on another thread, and Tim's podcast. What number of reps do you recommend at first? I am putting 5 # plates on my PVC shoulder dislocate bar to start. It feels good to hang and turn off my muscles in the lowest position for a few seconds to try and get a real stretch. Should I keep my core and glutes tight in the bottom position to protect my back? 

Now I try to turn my glutes and core back on BEFORE I start to rise out of the bottom position.

Everett Carroll

Hey Anthony,

5-10lbs is most likely good for now. If the movement feels at all difficult, you have gone too heavy. Keep your core tight at the bottom and get your glutes tight again as soon as possible. You should feel your hips pressing forward during the top half of the curl. 

Anthony Del Balso

Thank you Everett