This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1 Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, November 17, 2016 · 18 Replies · 218 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Been working this for-ev-er. I came back to GB after a long time off due to graduate school req's. Anyways, I'm finally able to do the iM with 5lbs and minimal to no clickity-clackity in my shoulder (at least such that it doesn't hurt and isn't consistently every rep). Of note, today's tuck ups were a wee bit more difficult, but I also slept pretty poorly last night (so I'm running on coffee) and also jumped up a step with FL/PE2, so coming to these at the end of my workout were a little bit harder than normal. Nevertheless, I got them done with the form seen here, as this is my fifth set. Let me know how they look. I'm really needing to work on pike compression, so, if able, moving to PE2 would be quite welcomed. 

 

 

 

Kai Ewert

I was watching this muted, and thought "Looks a bit rushed. Wonder if he is following the follow-along" Sure enough... Looks pretty smooth though for the windmill and you look more than ready to me to move on with the PE

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Lol, I was absolutely following the follow-along. Always do. I do the iM a few times throughout the day as my obliques/lower back are still stiff and it's a nice limber warmup. I appreciate the vote of confidence, just hoping the forum coaches think the same. 

Samin Ishtiaq

Your compression at the top of the PE is very good!

Any tips you could hand out? I'm suffering from my knees/thighs not meeting my chest at the top:

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I just try to be sure that my elbows are locked and that my fingers kiss the ground both ways: when I am fully supine and fully tucked. I also just try to be sure that each rep only counts when, in addition to the piece on the fingers, my knees or thighs touch my chest. I go from there. Just keep working on it. Trying to reach your locked arms further forward on the ground when going into the tuck also forces tighter compression. Hope that helps @Samin Ishtiaq

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
15 minutes ago, Samin Ishtiaq said:

Your compression at the top of the PE is very good!

Any tips you could hand out? I'm suffering from my knees/thighs not meeting my chest at the top:

 

Look up to the ceiling more and don't strain your chin, so that your back doesn't round as much (this is a good cue for all elements). Go up instead of forward with your belly and chest, similar to how you would on a pike stretch (bring the belly towards the thighs versus forcing the chest down).

Samin Ishtiaq

Thanks, Daniel. And didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I was super impressed with your form.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

@Alessandro Mainente does this need more work from your perspective before mastery?

Alessandro Mainente

yes, IM does not match the requirements. he needs to reach behind and between the legs as the course it is showing.

If we consider the first rep of the video, he should his right knee with the right shoulder. this constitute the correct range of motion.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

yes, IM does not match the requirements. he needs to reach behind and between the legs as the course it is showing.

If we consider the first rep of the video, he should his right knee with the right shoulder. this constitute the correct range of motion.

 

Ha, sorry I meant for me--for my form check, the first video at the top of the forum thread. Sorry, I should have clarified that.

Everett Carroll

Hi Daniel,

The PE looks really good and your ROM in the bottom of the iM is solid. I have one suggestion and this should be a quick fix: work on not allowing your back to arch so much in the top position of the iM. Try to extend straight up through your spine and then through your arm. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
6 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Daniel,

The PE looks really good and your ROM in the bottom of the iM is solid. I have one suggestion and this should be a quick fix: work on not allowing your back to arch so much in the top position of the iM. Try to extend straight up through your spine and then through your arm. 

 

I see what you mean. Also, two points @Everett Carroll , I'm using 5lbs on the iM is that good enough for mastery (once I work out the lower back deal)? Also, I know my form is good on the PE, but as with other issues with pHS/PE1>im, my pike compression is shoddy. I'm wondering about how to work an intermediate step for PE2. I do the straddle leg raises (I think they're in Foundation 3 as an iM), as well as straddle wipers and circles, but frankly I don't think I can manage straddle-ups, while I work on perfecting the iM is there a good midway point between tuck-ups and straddle-ups that I could do in lieu/in addition to what I'm doing now to expedite my progress? 

 

Cheers.

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

Fix your back and then start to creep the weight up. You look like you could master with 8-10 pounds right now.

You can "play" with straddle ups and J-curls after your core workout. Do a straddle up and try to hold the top position, straddling wide and keeping your legs tight. That really helped me to develop better ROM. Jefferson curls will also help with your hamstring flexibility and compression. Limit J-curls to one set of 5-10 reps for now and start really light (5-10lbs).

I know you are doing the stretch courses so of course keep up with those. This stuff just takes time! Manna progressions have been brutal for me too but it does get better...

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Doing these today I realize that having less arch and more PPT definitely felt better. As did elevating the arm. As a cooldown I did the iM with 8lbs and began to feel more stretch in my hamstrings. Gonna keep working these along with a couple play sets of PE2 and some stretches @Mats Tranelinked a short while ago.

Kai Ewert

Do you have a link for those stretches or to the post?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
4 minutes ago, Kai Ewert said:

Do you have a link for those stretches or to the post?

Nope, it's a secret.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

 

Kai Ewert

hahaha thanks! For a moment I thought you weren't kidding...

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
3 minutes ago, Kai Ewert said:

hahaha thanks! For a moment I thought you weren't kidding...

Lol I like to keep it light on these forums. Check out @Mats Trane's instagram links to see which I was mentioning.