This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 1 - middle split series

Started by Leigh Kettle, November 16, 2016 · 28 Replies · 620 Views

Tobias Karlsson

@Leigh Kettle How is it going for you? How much have you improved in the 6 or so months you have been doing it? I have just started so would love to hear how it is going for you!

Joshua Hibbert
On 2017-5-16 at 4:52 PM, Richard Laye said:

Hey Leigh and Joshua especially, I am right there with you guys. Had a short period where I did it without consistency but I have prioritized this now and am starting fresh again myself. I have a lot of tightness in the hammies and one yoga block isn't enough to sit in straddle with APT. I simply haven't been able to do it. One thing I noticed however is that there appears to be muscles deep within the lumbar region that feel as if they've been flexed whenever I am attempting to sit up tall in straddle. Thus, I'm am chalking it up to not only tight hamstrings but weak spinal extensors. In a four week period this had started to improve a lot....however for me there is one concern. I need to be attempting to sit in straddle every day for the muscles in the back to get used to flexing to sit up tall and for the hamstrings to loosen some....but I also don't want to be breaking the protocol for doing the series once per week. If I am doing straddle sits daily and its a bit of a workout for me due to limited initial flexibility, is that going to inhibit my progress on middle split days? Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Apart from the sitting tall in straddle, I had a couple of weeks where there was pain in the inside of the knee, which resolved by scaling. Overall, it really really is the small weekly gains (and sometimes we're talking incredibly small gains) that keep me wanting more. Do any of you who are doing the front and middle split feel like this is too much? These programs are meant to be done together....I'm presuming? I'd like to make sure my flexibility in all directions about the hip see improvement rather than just within the coronal plane.

 

Also, the suggestion about to find a local group and stretch with a partner..thats great advice. I don't know if anyone is in Kansas City, but I'm moving there this August to do my master's in anatomy and I'd love to meet with people if anyone is there to help move the gains forward and motivate each other. Just a thought :)

I have been doing the daily limbering which includes pike, pancake, butterfly ( i think it's called that) and a couple more in the straddle position.  It's very light intensity and maybe max 20 total duration in each position.  This type of stretchinv had been recommended as a daily thing.

After a month or so doing it, I now make sure I leave a day of two between those 2 stretch series.  I am the same in that my primary focus is sitting up tall and working towards correct apt.  Somedays seem easy than others, but I feel like some progress is been made.

Leigh Kettle
7 hours ago, Tobias Karlsson said:

@Leigh Kettle How is it going for you? How much have you improved in the 6 or so months you have been doing it? I have just started so would love to hear how it is going for you!

Hey Tobias 

progress is slow but I always knew it would be with me due to my serious mobility issues . That said I'm definitely seeing improvements and it's these small triumphs that I'm clinging on to . 

Coach mentions that remodelling takes around a year so I'm ok with the little progress im seeing trusting that over time I am making the right steps forward to correct my current situation 

how are you finding it since you started recently ? 

Tobias Karlsson

Do far it is painful : I have done quite a bit of stretching before to get better at weight lifting. So In some of the exercises I fell quite comfortable. However, in some I feel like I am 80 years old. But lots of the exercises seem very useful, so I hope to see some big improvements in the future.