This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Major planche stagnation

Started by Applebaum Josh, November 16, 2016 · 18 Replies · 332 Views

Applebaum Josh

Hi all,

I am running into some serious planche stagnation. I have been working on straddle planche for about 6 months now and have been stuck on max 15s tuck planche hold for about 4 months with basically no improvement. Further, I am not even close to being able to hold a adv tuck planche for even 2 seconds so it is really hard for me to even work on this movement. I have added resistance band aided adv tuck planche but that does not seem to be helping either. My workout consists mainly of handbalancing and planche training, meaning I really don't practice any of the other foundations elements. 

What can I do to get back on track and move on to adv tuck planche?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Josh, before giving suggestion i would like to see your planche leans for 30 seconds and elevated planche leans for 30 seconds.

Coach Sommer

Hello Josh,

In addition to the planche lean and elevated planche leans requested above by Alex, where are you in terms of your HBP and H1 progressions?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Applebaum Josh

Hi Coach Sommer and Alessandro,

Thank you both for your quick responses. I have linked 4 videos per your requests: 

@Coach Sommer in response to your questions, I do not train HBP currently but can comfortably do Bulgarian ring dips but can not do the 10 second lower from handstand to headstand. I can do most of the elements in H1 up to 60 second handstand. I have included a brief video of my handstand to give you an idea of my progress.

Thanks again for your time and please let me know if there is any additional information you would like from me. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Best,

Josh

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Josh, google service for video are too heavy for my internet connection. please upload them on youtube.

For the rest HBP gives an impressive amount of strength when you move to foundations 3-4.

Kai Ewert

Same issue for me, the videos won't play. I just get the circle of doom...

Applebaum Josh

Hi Guys,

Sorry about that. Below are the links to the youtube videos:

Thanks!

  • planche lean: 
  • elevated planche lean: 
  • tuck planche: 
  • handstand: 
  •  
Suzanna McGee

Same for me, the videos won't load. 

Applebaum Josh

Sorry All,

I am working on uploading to youtube.

Thanks,

Josh

Alessandro Mainente

Actually:

-floor lean does not match the "lean requirements" you should lean the point where wrists reach the navel

-elevated lean, you are loosing protraction too early and piking at the hips

-i do not count seconds for the tuck planche. basically your are slowly lowering down the hips and not holding them at shoulders height. 

Summarizing, you are not ready for tuck planche. no reason to tell about stagnation in that case.

 

Applebaum Josh

Thanks, Allesandro! This is very helpful. Do you recommend that I go back to the planche lean and try to lean forward more? Should I add frogstand back in as well?

Alessandro Mainente

Planche lean.

Applebaum Josh

Hi Alessandro,

Is this position better? Or do I still need to lean forward more?

Thanks!

IMG_8785.PNG

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

It looks pretty good to me, but let's see what @Alessandro Mainente has to say.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Josh, Jeffrey was correct, also 1 cm less, it is ok. I'm used to use a good truck to check the correct lean with my students and kids. basically you need to get a peace of tiny rope, then move up your trousers until they are at navel's level, put one edge of the tiny rope inside the trouser so that when you assume the plank position it is hanging from the trousers, now lean forward until the tiny rop disappears in between the wrists, this mean a correct lean until navel. easy and simple.

Marcus Patterson
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Josh, Jeffrey was correct, also 1 cm less, it is ok. I'm used to use a good truck to check the correct lean with my students and kids. basically you need to get a peace of tiny rope, then move up your trousers until they are at navel's level, put one edge of the tiny rope inside the trouser so that when you assume the plank position it is hanging from the trousers, now lean forward until the tiny rop disappears in between the wrists, this mean a correct lean until navel. easy and simple.

Great idea, I am going to try that one!

Mats Trane

Hard to tell from the PL lean videos but it looks like you are shrugging your shoulders a bit. You realy want to depress those shoulders. Away from the ears and towards your hips. 

Applebaum Josh

Thanks @Mats Trane, I will work on depressing the shoulders more too. And thanks @Alessandro Mainente for the trick, definitely going to use that one.

Kai Ewert

Nice trick Alessandro! I tried it out today, just using the tie string of my training pants. It ssems you could even use it to check whether your hips are rising and also it doesn't have to be right at navel level, you can just note how much away from the navel it is and adjust the position on the ground accordingly. I like it! A big help for doing the PLL without the watchful eye of a partner!