This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck on straddle ups

Started by Garry Barker, November 16, 2016 · 16 Replies · 840 Views

Garry Barker

Was just wondering if anyone struggled with straddle ups? I found tuck ups quite easy but I can't touch straddle ups or Jefferson curls.

I struggle to touch my toes which I'm assuming is one of the main reasons I cant do these? so doing my best to achieve this at the moment

I was hoping someone who has had the same issue with this progression at one point and might have some advise because it'seems I'm going to be stuck on these for a long time.

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Garry,

Good question. This is commonly a sticking point for newer students who have tight hamstrings and hips. I have a few suggestions:

1) Post a form check for MN/PE1 and MN/PE1>iM to be 100% sure execution and ROM are at mastery level. You can post videos to this thread or to the form checks thread. 

2) Begin the stretch courses, specifically middle split and front split for this element. The flexibility you will develop in those courses will greatly accelerate your progress.

Jeffrey Bailey

I can echo Everett recommendations here. I've progressed steadily in every other progression, but straddle ups is something I'll be stuck on for a while due to flexibility. Don't get discouraged! It's common.

Mats Trane

Try this stretch (if you are ready for it) 2-3 times a week. (it comes fron HS2)

And this as a  supplementary exercise. 

 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
3 hours ago, Mats Trane said:

Try this stretch (if you are ready for it) 2-3 times a week. (it comes fron HS2)

And this as a  supplementary exercise. 

 

 

Yooo, that second stretch/exercise is the one I need as I begin to "play" with PE2 until I comfortably master PE1/iM. Cheers @Mats Trane

Garry Barker

Thanks for all the advise.

I will have to work up to the 2 stretches even those are to hard core for me at the moment. 

I believe how much this course has exposed my weaknesses. I thought I was quite strong when at ''my best'' but looking back the only way I can describe myself is like a bottle of Heinz tomato ketchup but when you squeeze it you find it's been filled with that cheap not nice tasting tomato sauce:facepalm:

Will get a video posted for a form check.

Thanks again

 

 

Steven Gilmore

Garry it is humbling for all of us. Your body will adapt to anything you consistently expose it to. I've struggled with these as I never used my hip flexor to lift my leg out straight before....I mean, why would you? Apart for kicking a footy. So your body goes into shock at this new request and you're back to trying to walk like a new born bubby. I can't touch my toes either, but my Jefferson curls have gone from an empty bar, to 20kg on the bar and it feels strong. Amazing. Stick with it. You will become fine sauce.

Aaron Altamura
On 11/18/2016 at 7:39 AM, Mats Trane said:

Try this stretch (if you are ready for it) 2-3 times a week. (it comes fron HS2)

And this as a  supplementary exercise. 

 

 

This 2nd one was exactly what I needed! My groin feels super sore and my legs were shaking reaching full flexion. Thank you so much! Excited to try the stall bars variation as well, but I have limited access to stall bars :(  At some point I'll have to buy a set of my own!

Aaron Altamura
On 11/28/2016 at 7:58 AM, Aaron Altamura said:

This 2nd one was exactly what I needed! My groin feels super sore and my legs were shaking reaching full flexion. Thank you so much! Excited to try the stall bars variation as well, but I have limited access to stall bars :(  At some point I'll have to buy a set of my own!

Still on this exercise (2nd one)! Unfortunately my gym doesn't have stall bars so I can't practice the 1st. Anyone know of any others?

Affan Osman

I use a squat rack for stall bar replacement. Who knew the safety bars could be so handy :)

Aaron Altamura
11 hours ago, Affan Osman said:

I use a squat rack for stall bar replacement. Who knew the safety bars could be so handy :)

Okay, I tried this today at the gym and made a baboon's ass out of myself. Also didn't feel too safe. Can you provide a video or detailed explanation? Thank you! 

Everett Carroll
On 3/7/2017 at 8:57 AM, Aaron Altamura said:

Anyone know of any others?

Check out the Middle Split Stretch Series if you don't already own it. That is the most effective way to improve your straddle mobility.

Aaron Altamura
2 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Check out the Middle Split Stretch Series if you don't already own it. That is the most effective way to improve your straddle mobility.

Thanks Everett! I already have a front split and with some more practice a middle splint isn't so far away. Not sure it makes sense for me to go through all those progressions. Also to master mobility for PE2, it almost feels like you need a full middle split! 

Everett Carroll

Just like Foundations, the MSS will cover every base of pancake and middle split flexibility, eliminate deficiencies, and thoroughly prepare your hips for MN/PE2. You definitely don't need a full MS for MN/PE2 mastery; use the MSS to diagnose and tackle the tight area that's holding you back.

Mark Allen

I'm also struggling with straddle ups. I struggle to keep my legs straight and open them and lift them high, I can't do all three, actuallyi can't do any of them to a good standard. I was wondering what the order of focus should be as I progress?

- lifting legs high

- keeping legs straight

- Opening legs wide

 

Everett,

Could you explain what you mean by using MSS to diagnose and tackle tight areas that are holding you back?

should I be working out where my weakness is and then focusing additional time on those weaknesses.

Thanks,

Mark

 

 

Everett Carroll
5 hours ago, Mark Allen said:

I was wondering what the order of focus should be as I progress?

Legs straight is a must so focus on pointing your toes and engaging your quads. Next focus to sit your chest up tall. The width of the straddle and amount of compression will naturally increase over the weeks. Pulling your legs in closer to your body should be the third "most important" focus, followed by the width of your straddle. Those last two are a blurry line as one might come easier to you than the other; you want to increase both over the training weeks. It would be better to see a video to provide more specific feedback on those. 

5 hours ago, Mark Allen said:

d you explain what you mean by using MSS to diagnose and tackle tight areas that are holding you back?

Sure thing. The MSS will immediately reveal which areas you need most work in. For example, when I first started it my piriformis was terribly tight from years of running and hiking. After my first session, I started putting extra effort into stretching my piriformis and that ultimately helped increase the width of my straddle. If a particular area is really tight or a stretch give you a lot of trouble, you've found something to work on. 

Mark Allen

Everett,

I had a go last night at trying out different aspects, like seeing how high could I lift a single leg from sitting position, it made me really focus on keeping my leg straight with my toes pointed and quads engaged. I really felt like my legs were straight and engaged, which i've not before. I also think I've been using way too much momentum to do these exercises, I need to do it in a much more controlled movement, making my muscles do the work more evenly throughout the exercise. Really made me realise how bad my form has been before. In fact, it made me wonder whether I need to revisit a number of other exercises as well.

Your answer is so helpful, It's a more in depth version of what I started to figure out last night.

Thanks so much