This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Position of feet during elevated seiza

Started by Daniel Miles, November 15, 2016 · 3 Replies · 168 Views

Daniel Miles

When I am performing elevated seiza I feel it mostly on the achilles and top of heel,  like it almost feels stuck. It's not painful just a feeling that it won't move any further and I don't feel any stretching at all. However, when I move my feet a little further apart and let the heel bone internally rotate slightly I can. Is this normal? I want to be working towards doing it with feet straight but just doesn't feel right at all. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

Can you please post pictures or a video of the two positions?

Daniel Miles

Hey Everett,

Better late than never! 

IMG_4858.JPG

 

This position above I feel it mostly in the heel, like structurally uncomfortable. The pic below I feel in the exact places it should be felt and it feels like a stretch.

 

 

IMG_4857.JPG

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

The position from the top photo, with your heels closer together, is definitely the better position. Stick with the better position and lean forward as much as necessary to eliminate the discomfort you're feeling. You can also support yourself with your hands to take even more weight off of your ankles. Over time, work to sit up higher and higher, slowly weighting your feet and ankles more. Always keep your heels working together. Let us know if you still feel that discomfort after trying these modifications. If you do, we can discuss this further.