This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE2

Started by Joshua Hibbert, November 15, 2016 · 9 Replies · 148 Views

Joshua Hibbert

Hi,

I just wanted to check out my squat.  I realised that  have extremely restricted movement in my ankles and calf after starting the front split course, as well as lost of other places  I have a feeling that I may be over compensating the squat with too much upper body lean.  I thought this was the easiest movement for me since strength isn't an issue.  In the video I am really concentrating on keeping my weight through the heels of my feet to try and reduce my lean forward. How does it look?  

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Joshua Hibbert, 

How is your SLS PE1? You need to go all the way down for this preparatory element. From the camera angle, I can't see your hips. Sometimes the reason that you can't go all the way down is because your not actively opening your hips as you go down. 

Joshua Hibbert

Thanks for the reply @Leo Trinidad.  I will have to record it because I thought it was good but I am beginning to doubt that.  I don't understand how you open your hips during a squat?  My hips are also very poor ROM.

Everett Carroll

Can you please also post another video of this progression from the front?

Leo Trinidad

Yes, as Everett said post a video with the camera angle in front of you @Joshua Hibbert so we can help you better.

Joshua Hibbert

A little late but here is front view.  I have just realised I have cut off my feet but hope you have enough.

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Joshua,

Your execition looks good to me. This is likely just a matter of spending time here to deepen your squat. The middle split series will help to open and mobilize your hips more quickly. @Leo Trinidad any second opinions?

Oh, and also keep working to keep a flat back in the squat. 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Joshua Hibbert,

I agree with @Everett Carroll to use the middle split series to help you progress faster. My tip is that as you go down to your squat try to open your hips as far as you can while descending to the bottom. Also try to pause a bit longer in the bottom of each rep.

Joshua Hibbert

Ok 

On 22/11/2016 at 7:02 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Joshua,

Your execition looks good to me. This is likely just a matter of spending time here to deepen your squat. The middle split series will help to open and mobilize your hips more quickly. @Leo Trinidad any second opinions?

Oh, and also keep working to keep a flat back in the squat. 

 

3 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Joshua Hibbert,

I agree with @Everett Carroll to use the middle split series to help you progress faster. My tip is that as you go down to your squat try to open your hips as far as you can while descending to the bottom. Also try to pause a bit longer in the bottom of each rep.

Thanks for the advice.  I am currently getting to grips with the front split stretch series at the moment and will gradually add the other courses as I get more used to it.  I have noticed from the strectching course that my ankles, achilles, shins, calfs, basically everything down there have extremely limited range of movement. Am I right in thinking that as this improves this will also help with me squat because at the moment my balance is questionable.

 

  @Leo Trinidad When you say open the hips, am I correct in thinking that the movement is widening the distance between the knees.  When I previously did squats I always used to concentrate on keep the movement as linear as possible, probably explains a lot.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Joshua Hibbert, yes you are correct. Try widening the distance between the knees as you go down. Actively open your hips by doing this as you go down to the bottom of your squat.