This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Negative leg lift - front delt pain

Started by Marcus Patterson, November 14, 2016 · 8 Replies · 174 Views

Marcus Patterson

Hi all

 

just wanted to check whether this is normal for this exercise at the beginning and I need to get accustomed to the movement, or if I am doing harm in the long term.

I only started this last week I think, however everytime I go up and begin to lower my legs I get as kind of pulling/stretching in the front delt which is quite painful. 

Has anyone else experience this? I warm up with shoulder dislocates in both directions, with and without weights, however it feels "tight" if that is the right word.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Granted I can not speak on behalf of others. Thanks to several years of competitve swimming. I, personally, did not have that issue while I was working on the that progression. Make sure you are flexing your triceps so that you are certain your internal rotator cuff and anterior deltoid muscles are holding your upper arm in socket.

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Marcus, dislocates are not a proper warm up for these, if you have the Thoracic course I will move this post in that section giving you the right exercise of the TB course to reduce the problem.

Marcus Patterson

Hi all

I was suggested to post this here for a good warm up exercise before starting this PE as dislocates don´t warm up properly I am told.

just wanted to check whether this is normal for this exercise at the beginning and I need to get accustomed to the movement, or if I am doing harm in the long term.

I only started this last week I think, however everytime I go up and begin to lower my legs I get as kind of pulling/stretching in the front delt which is quite painful. 

Has anyone else experience this? I warm up with shoulder dislocates in both directions, with and without weights, however it feels "tight" if that is the right word.

Everett Carroll

Hi Marcus, 

Like Alex said in the other thread, the TB stretch course will likely help. Can you please post a video of your MN/PE4 and MN/PE5? Do you feel the same pain in those progressions?

Also, consider seeing a physio and don't train through the deltoid pain. It is not safe or normal. You may need to temporarily move back in progressions until this issue is corrected.

Please post those videos and we will go from there.

Marcus Patterson

Thanks Everett. I have been doing the thoracic stretch series for around 6 months already.Are there any particular stretches you would suggest for warming the delts?

Marcus Patterson

I have modified pe6 just to show where the pain starts, its as the hips come up parallel with the floor.

Here is pe4 and pe5

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Marcus,

Your form for MN/PE4 and PE5 look good. It does look like you are beginning to depress your shoulders as you initiate the leg lift in the PE6 video. This is a good indication that you are using too much of your biceps and/or lats as a compensation method. Work to hang totally relaxed. When I am hanging properly, my shoulders are cupping my ears.  

For warmup I suggest some light cardio, iM's from HBP like german arm swings and xiopengs, and some dead hangs. I always either climb a bit or hang for 30-60s before beginning my training.  Again, I do strongly suggest seeing a physio about the deltoid pain. It is not wise to tamper with pain surrounding a joint. 

Marcus Patterson

Thanks so much. Will try this and report back.