This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE5

Started by Guido Franchetti, November 14, 2016 · 44 Replies · 639 Views

Alessandro Mainente

Shoulder extension variation from thoracic stretch course. and also perform the standing dislocate and hold the wood bar when it moves from the vertical position to 45° backward.

Guido Franchetti

Perfect, thanks Alessandro.

Guido Franchetti

I think I have greatly reduced the imbalance between the two shoulders in the iM. Here are videos, I am using 3 kg. Asking for the permission to progress to PE6!

 

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Guido,

It looks much better. I would still like to get @Alessandro Mainente's opinion before giving you the "okay" to move on.

Alessandro Mainente

Shoulder flexion it is good, during the dislocate the back portion during the first part of the exercise must be done slower actually you are accelerating too much, in fact, your shoulders have the tendency to move differently if you stop at 16 sec (3rd video) you can see how one shoulder it is more elevated than the other. do it slowly in the point of asymmetrical work.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Alessandro, I'll work on that.

Guido Franchetti

@Alessandro Mainente I have tried today, and I think I tend to keep the left shoulder higher than the right one during the dislocate, I guess I should elevate the right one to match the left (rather than depress the left one), right? In the first part of the exercise (front to back) at which point should I re-depress the shoulders, immediately after completing the dislocate movement? Thanks!

Everett Carroll
45 minutes ago, Guido Franchetti said:

elevate the right one to match the left (rather than depress the left one),

Yes, as you pass through the top of the dislocate. 

45 minutes ago, Guido Franchetti said:

In the first part of the exercise (front to back) at which point should I re-depress the shoulders, immediately after completing the dislocate movement?

Gradually, after the bar has passed over your head. 

Guido Franchetti

Perfect, thank Everett!

Francisco Garcia

Hello Guido, I have been stuck on this PE for a while now (due to the IM) and I wanted to ask you where you started from for the IM and how long it took you to get to the required width (no weight).  I started at 2x the required width and am now just about 1.5x, but it's been slow progress.  How long did it take you and do you have any suggestions that could help?

thanks!

Francisco

 

Guido Franchetti

Hi Francisco! I think it took me around 4 months, with starting point what you can see in the first video of this thread. Without much merit on my part, my shoulder mobility has been better than that at other joints from the beginning, so I have not struggled as much with shoulder mobility as I do with (many) other exercises. So not sure I can give very useful advice, but let's try.

- Don't worry about the weight: I started with 1.25 kg, really not challenging, but when the movement started being in place bumping to 3 kg was no problem at all.

- Do not compensate. The first thing to avoid is bending the elbows. Arching on bending the spine also helps removing pressure, so do asymmetric movements if one side is more mobile than the other - I am still trying to fix that. Visually checking/imaging to keep the bar perfectly horizontal helps.

- Go slowly! Especially in the back to front part, it makes the exercise much more effective and challenging.

The usual (and irritating) wisdom of enjoying the trip, not forcing results, accepting the time it takes, building solid form before reducing the width before increasing the weight of course applies, but you probably know that already!

Francisco Garcia

Thanks for the advice, Guido!  My current form is not as good as your starting form. It's frustrating because I've tried some of the later progressions and I don't find them as hard as this one.  It's good to see others make progress as it gives me hope that one day I'll move on to PE6.   Your advice is very good, and I will do my best to follow it!

Everett Carroll

Hey Francisco,

Guido gave some excellent advice. I'd like to add that the weight should not be increased until you reach a hands width outside of shoulder width. Keep it light and gradually narrow your grip. 

Guido Franchetti

I have tried correcting the right shoulder depressed thing, how is it now?
Unfortunately the camera was a bit tilted.

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Guido,

Is it possible for you to perform these in front of a mirror? Your form is improving greatly and there are just a couple of subtle improvements that should be made now:

1. You like to turn your head to the left slightly (I see this often) and a mirror would help you look straight ahead.

2. Go slightly wider and work to make the dislocate a more fluid motion. Rather than pausing before your shrug your shoulders to your ears, you want to be able to comfortably and smoothly shrug as the bar comes higher. Keep the movement going the whole time, slow and steady. 

Guido Franchetti
10 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Guido,

Is it possible for you to perform these in front of a mirror? Your form is improving greatly and there are just a couple of subtle improvements that should be made now:

1. You like to turn your head to the left slightly (I see this often) and a mirror would help you look straight ahead.

2. Go slightly wider and work to make the dislocate a more fluid motion. Rather than pausing before your shrug your shoulders to your ears, you want to be able to comfortably and smoothly shrug as the bar comes higher. Keep the movement going the whole time, slow and steady. 

Yes i have a mirror :) That's very useful advice Everett, thanks a lot!

Guido Franchetti

OK, I have tried to dial in Everett's advice. Here are videos of the PE and iM.

Any chances I can move to PE6?

Guido Franchetti

bump..

Alessandro Mainente

Hy Guido the problem it is only concerned with the second video, if you use your peripheral vision can you see your thumb? if not you are tucking your chin too much.

Guido Franchetti
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hy Guido the problem it is only concerned with the second video, if you use your peripheral vision can you see your thumb? if not you are tucking your chin too much.

Thanks Alessandro, in that video I probably tucked the chin too much, but I did a quick check today and I can do it with the chin in the proper position. Moving on to PE6 :)