I would love to hear pointers on this exercise. I just started to play with it, doing 4x18s… Thank you so much!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Suzanna McGee, November 14, 2016 · 9 Replies · 208 Views
I would love to hear pointers on this exercise. I just started to play with it, doing 4x18s… Thank you so much!
I think getting that leg in and out is crucial as that's what challenges hip and ankle mobility as well as balance the most. The resting position itself is not that hard to maintain and you pretty much got that down. Maybe putting a 1" board or sth under the static foot to get a bit more clearance will help you get that other foot in and out without lifting your heel or putting your hands on the floor for balance.
Hi @Suzanna McGee,
Your form looks good just make sure not to rest your chest at your quad at any point. ![]()
Great points, thank you so much! @Leo Trinidad, I watched the video again to see if I am resting my chest on my quad (I don't t think so, but I will definitely make sure I won't in the future), and during this precise observation I noticed how my left and right side look different. The left leg squat, I have so much more space between the quad and chest… I will have to work on getting the sides more even. Thanks for brining it to my attention.
@Bas Albinus, next time I do this, I will do it on the firm floor. I am on a soft mat, and my working foot sinks a bit, and then it was hard to pull out the other leg. You are right, I should do it without hands touching the ground. I will see if a plain, firm floor will make this possible, or if I need more time and compressing and stretching work. Thanks!!!
Yes @Suzanna McGee, make sure to balance out your legs. ![]()
@Bas Albinus, I did them today on off the mat, on the floor, and yay, I can squat down, arms forward, extend one leg, hold, bring the leg in, switch the legs, hold, bring the leg in, and stand up. No touching with the hands
I didn't take a video, I'll just keep working on making the movement pretty (aka get so strong that it looks very easy)…
1. Press your toes down into the floor surface you are working with.
2. Stick with a softer surface... In addition to more overall core and leg strength. Softer surfaces requires your body to develop greater balance because your ankle muscles are needed to maintain a steady balance.
3. As the focus point states "....you may find that extending a light weight greatly aids in counter balance."
@Rayne-William Fitzgerald, thanks for the tip. I will try the soft surface again, now when I got better on switching the legs without using my hands. Maybe it was not a problem of the soft mat before, rather me not having the skill. It's going to be interesting how it goes on the soft mat again. I think I will try it without the counter balance weight, as for mastery it needs to be without the weight. So I just keep working on it that way, and master it on hard and soft
I think I may have the same issue as Suzanna in that my right and left sides are imbalanced. I can fairly easily do a SLS with my right leg (although form could improve), but it is hard to even get down in the static position with my left leg without falling over. I think this is a mobility issue in the hip and ankle. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to improve my mobility for this static position on my left side (outside of just holding the position), or have you noticed that it tends to work itself out over time?
Hey Nicholas,
Typically these imbalances are sorted out in the earlier progressions. Have you submitted form checks or video reviews in for those?