I am using 10-lbs plate… any tips I should be thinking about when working on this exercise? Thank you….
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Suzanna McGee, November 14, 2016 · 5 Replies · 123 Views
I am using 10-lbs plate… any tips I should be thinking about when working on this exercise? Thank you….
Hi @Suzanna McGee,
Yes focus on keeping tension on your body and not relaxing. Also make sure that you don't bend your elbows. I would start a lower weight first and get the form and tempo.
Thank you, @Leo Trinidad, I will go down to 5 lbs and work on your pointers. Very appreciated!
Hi Suzanna,
It helps to keep tension though out the core if you start the exercise standing upright then lower the down. I also found it more effective to keep the arms in full flexion throughout the entire movement.
Excellent @Mikey Cunanan, that's a great tip. I was already incorporating what Leo said. I'll do it again on Thursday
Generally speaking... After moving onto the next progression, if one wishes to make this iM harder on themselves. Less core tension and or a narrower stance makes this element harder and requires one to really contract your core muscles more to move your upper torso around.
Personally speaking, I am currently using this iM for supplementary work with less overall core tension, narrower stance, and a dumb bell that weighs about 7kg.
In addition to the core strengthen work I do on a regular basis that is not part of the foundation, handstand series, or other common workout programs. The additional core strength this iM has helped me develop. Has been useful with other foundation and handstand elements.
Plus it made my lower back muscles strong enough to forcefully slide and hold a previously subluxated vertabra, of five plus years, into the proper alignment with the rest of my spine. Which in turn made my overall core stronger than I had anticipated it being.