This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Middle Splits Stretch Questions

Started by Chris Carnazzo, November 14, 2016 · 5 Replies · 344 Views

Chris Carnazzo

Hello.  I have been following this series for several weeks and have a few questions.

1.  Pira formas vs Pigeon.  I'm not sure what the difference is, which makes me think I'm not getting in the correct position.

2. Pancakes.  I cannot figure out how to get into an anterior pelvic tilt.  Looking in the mirror, my upper back is hunched and I'm not getting very close to the ground.  Any suggestions.

Other than that, my adductors are extremely tight from years of distance running.  Any daily suggestions on loosening them up? 

Pauline Taube

Hi Chris, 

Pigeon stretch is just another name for the piriformis stretch. What exactly do you find confusing about the stretch? 

For most people it's hard to get the anterior pelvic tilt position when doing the pancake stretch to start with. What you can do is sit on an elevated surface, a yoga block or even a box. This will help you get into the right position, and as your flexibility improves you can lower the surface until you're able to get into the position from the floor. 

Doing the stretching series consistently will definitely loosen up your hips and adductors. You can also add some daily limbering exercises where you do cossack squats, side to side squats (focus on keeping your hips low) and also frog stretches with less intensity. The mobility exercises in the SLS and sPL are great for hip mobility work too and can be done daily! :)

Coach Sommer

Hello Chris,

When you have trouble achieving APT, then continue elevating the hips by sitting on something (mats, boxes, stools etc) until you reach the point where you are able to achieve APT.

Make sure to view the technique videos.  This will contain performance tips for each stretch as well as recommendations for scaling appropriately.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Christopher Denzer

Hey everyone:

Has anyone used ankle weights or another device to help open up their legs when they stretch on the wall? I feel like the dinky ankle weights I have seen wouldn't be enough to get past my limited flexibility. Any ideas?

Suzanna McGee

I saw a video on Instagram of some GST lady (forgot the name) who hung two little kettlebells on her feet :) 

Alessandro Mainente
On 12/13/2016 at 5:03 PM, Christopher Denzer said:

Hey everyone:

Has anyone used ankle weights or another device to help open up their legs when they stretch on the wall? I feel like the dinky ankle weights I have seen wouldn't be enough to get past my limited flexibility. Any ideas?

For now you can limit yourself to body tension and if necessary use the hands to move a little bit down the legs. once the standing variation with contraction it has been used for at least 6 months you should have the necessary strength to add ankle weight.