This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stalder with feet in front of the body

Started by Katharina Huemer, November 14, 2016 · 4 Replies · 134 Views

Katharina Huemer

I was thinking about something....would it theoretically be possible to perform a stalder press handstand from sitting with the feet in front of the body or in line with the body at all times?

So basically compressing sooo hard that the feet never go behind the body and the athlet is in a compressed pancake position with feet in front of the body? On the second half of the press (from straddle handstand to full handstand) and of course in the handstand position, feet in line with the body, not in front anymore.

If this is not possible - why?

And if it would be possible - what would the secret be? Am I right whenthinking that it would need excellent active flexibility and compression skills and a lot if technique , but almost no shoulder and arm strength other than suppporting the body?

I attached a pic, hope you you know what I mean!

IMG_0199.JPG

Alessandro Mainente

The more you compress the less the feet have the tendency to move away from the rest of the body

the more traps and active shoulder flexion you have the more you can hold inverted crompression without leaning with the shoulder and move the feet away from the body.

the more active split your have, the move you can hold the feet apart to the side but still in line with the body during the final ascent part of the stalder and during the beginning part of the descent part.

Discussion it is more complex, but that's the point.

Katharina Huemer

Ok, I totally get what you stated.

But if all of this is excellent - would it be possible then? 

I have watched all handbalancing and gymnastics videos I could find but no one did that.

Basically, if you sit in a middle split only around 5 inches away from the wall, stomach facing the wall, hands in front of the body. And then, when you press up, your toes will constantly touch the wall an be in the widest straddle possible until you are in a straddle handstand, then in line wit the body.

Other way round as well - back and butt against the wall and pressing up, so the wall almost allows no lean!

Is that something that people want to achieve or is it just unnecessary?

I do see that this is definitely trap strength, but isn't it also a lot of technique and muscle memory?

Is it considered hard? 

And how would you train for it?

Suzanna McGee
2 hours ago, Katharina Huemer said:

But if all of this is excellent - would it be possible then? 

I have watched all handbalancing and gymnastics videos I could find but no one did that.

Well, the only way for you to know is to go for it and try it. Keep working and see if it is possible. Maybe you will be the first one :)

Katharina Huemer

So, this week I started training for the first time again after months of doing nothing and I am getting used to it again.

I have limited time for training, but I am planning on spending 1 hour a day training, including warm up, 30 minutes handstands and a little stretching at the end.

I know I will not be able to get as strong as I used to when I was training 4-5 hour a day, but I want to keep the ability of doing good press handstand.
And rather than aiming for as many presses as possible, I will aim for technique.

I tried it today, compressing as much as possible. I am definitely lacking overall strength in pressing up, but negative presses work quite well, especially with the band you can see in the video.
 



So my question is: I want to be able to compress even a little bit more than in the video, and of course also pressing up like this. Apart from my normal press handstand training, which exercises would be most beneficial? 

I was thinking about doing negatives, but then I will only get the shape I have stronger rather than even IMPROVING the compression.

What about statically holding the different press positions, like Straddle L, higher Straddle L etc and then actively pulling the legs in front of the body?

Is this a strength or more a technique thing? I have the feeling it is more like a "knowing when to use which muscles thing" than an actual muscle building aspect! 

Any ideas/tipps appreciated