This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New to Stretching

Started by Joshua Hibbert, November 13, 2016 · 14 Replies · 313 Views

Joshua Hibbert

So I purchased front split last week and have done it once so far.  I am easing myself into the stretching as I have read somewhere that you don't want to push the stretching too hard so I used the session as a way to familiarise myself with the positions and only did half the reps/time on each movement.  I am also on my feet a lot for work so didn't want to cripple myself for that.  I knew my lower half wasn't very flexible but was surprised discover that I can barely move at all. 

I was just wondering if working at half rate is sufficient to start with or to try and maintain what ever poor position I can achieve for the full allotted time.  I am struggling to judge how hard to push it.  Some of the positions such as the Siezas can be painful but just about tolerable and similar with straight vertical lunge.

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Joshua,

Great question. I suggest working for the full length of time on each stretch but not pushing it it to too deep of a ROM. Find the position that you can comfortably maintain for the prescribed duration. Keep your effort level around a 3-4 out of 10. Aim to complete the series once per week.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. I know it's tough at first but stick to it!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hey, Joshua two simple cues that help me in ALL of the stretch series are these: relax your jaw and maintain a slow easy breath. If I'm tensing my jaw or am breathing heavily, that usually means I'm working too hard on the stretch and not relaxing into it. Seems intuitive, but I've found that in following along with the video there is a likelihood to want to keep pace with the video (as is what happens with Pro+ for Foundations 1). With the stretch series, though, you want to be relaxed and at ease as much as possible, so going with the same pace or to the same degree as the three athletes videod will not do you much good as you'll push too hard or aim for ROM that is yet unattainable, so it's better to be relaxed and breathing evenly and deeply. There are a few exercises where having a slow and natural breath might be hard: the bridge wall walks from the Thoracic Bridge Series, perhaps the calf raises in Front Stretch Series or the Iso Middle Splits in the Middle Split Series, but otherwise all of them should be done with a range of motion and intensity where you could easily carry on a conversation, BUT you're still feeling a stretch and aren't straining or forcing anything. It takes some time to figure out where exactly that is for each position and each person, but I've found that those two cues I first mentioned always hold true (even on the harder elements -- reduce your ROM, so that your breath and body aren't clenching so much). So, I hope that helps. I've found it to be phenomenal in giving me immediate feedback and keeps me mindful throughout the 45-minute series.

Joshua Hibbert

Thanks for the replies.  I have a much better idea of whats is required.  Great advice @Daniel Taylor-Shaut , I will use this in my future sessions.

Joshua Hibbert

So I did my first full stretch session yesterday and I can't believe how hard it was.  I tried to use Daniels advice and to relax into it but the stretches are so alien to my body it will take a long time for me to be fully relaxed.  I also found that there was discomfort in other parts of the body that weren't the specific target but I assume are partly used. For example my lower back started to scream after the 2 pike 2 squat series and I was trying to keep it as flat as possible.  My ankles and Achilles are so tight that I am nowhere near able to get my leg up against the wall on the lunges.  Over all it was a massive struggle and I guess that I will feel my way into the stretches as time goes by and hopefully open my body up so I at least resemble the follow along videos.  I am sure it's a bit of a placebo but my body feels better so it feels like its doing something.

Sorry for rambling on but  I am pretty stoked to see where this journey will take me and can't believe I have left it this long to get started.  I will have to get the thoracic bridge series sooner rather than later.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Sorry, when I say relaxed I don't mean to say resting--I'm often sweating in my series but that you're in control and not straining, they can take a while to become familiar. Keep at it.

Mikkel Ravn

I use contract and release techniques in my stretching sessions, and usually the contraction phase feels a lot more ' comfortable' than the relaxation phase, where the pain can be felt much more easily.

Everett Carroll

Hey Joshua,

This is totally normal at first! Keep it up. Aim to keep your effort level for each stretch around a 3 or a 4 out of 10. If you need any help with some of the more difficult stretches, feel free to post some form checks!

Joshua Hibbert
18 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Sorry, when I say relaxed I don't mean to say resting--I'm often sweating in my series but that you're in control and not straining, they can take a while to become familiar. Keep at it.

I think I understand what you are saying and can do it in a few of the positions where I can achieve the correct form with less effort.  On others that I really struggle with it feels like I am concentrating hard to keep everything where it should be so can't feel relaxed in them at the moment,  if that makes sense. 

Previously I never paid that much attention to stretching, my experience is a token gesture in a warm up and a cool down when I used to play competitive sports. Probably explains why it seems like I can barely move now.   This kind of stretching is new to me and I totally underestimated how difficult it is! Especially when you see the follow along and they make it look so effortless. 

17 hours ago, Mikkel Ravn said:

I use contract and release techniques in my stretching sessions, and usually the contraction phase feels a lot more ' comfortable' than the relaxation phase, where the pain can be felt much more easily.

I think this is a little advanced for me at the moment but will have a look at it in the future.

10 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Joshua,

This is totally normal at first! Keep it up. Aim to keep your effort level for each stretch around a 3 or a 4 out of 10. If you need any help with some of the more difficult stretches, feel free to post some form checks!

Thanks Everett, I will give it a few more weeks to familiarise my self with the program and then look at form checks when I am still struggling.  I need to try and pinpoint my exactly where my weaknesses are.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah, take your time and go slowly with the stretch series especially if you're just getting into it. Once you're more familiar with the movements, then try to be conscious of what I, and Everett, mentioned as it will help you slowly go deeper in the stretches. Using what Ravn mentioned also helps though as it's basically a brain trick--but that's another conversation.

Joshua Hibbert

So I have done 3 proper sessions of the front split series and I have noticed a difference in a increased range of motion.  I have tried to be extremely cautious so as not to push too hard in the stretches.  However I do still a little soreness in certain parts of my legs the days after.  After the last session my hip flexors were a little sore but more of a comfortable soreness.  My hamstrings are of more concern, it's hard to describe but I sometimes get discomfort in the form of tingling/ pin prick sensation in them.  It was most noticeable when I did a long drive yesterday and has kind of stuck around today.  I have had it before when I think I pushed too hard on the FSS or sometimes when I have done Stiff arm Windmills.  What is funny about this time is that I haven't trained for a couple of days prior to the discomfort yesterday and my hamstrings felt fine after I did the stretch series last week.  Is this normal?  Do we want to avoid all types of soreness after the stretch series?   

Mikkel Ravn

Moderate soreness is ok, extreme soreness is counterproductive IMO.

Everett Carroll

Like Miller said, a little soreness sometimes is okay and typical. What you want to avoid is stretching so hard that you can not complete your other scheduled workouts that week.

Ted Rarrick

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one that struggles with the Stretch series. I'm on my second week and I have to massively scale the moves to attempt them. Because of all the great advice on this forum and the great technique videos I've really reduced my frustration and am now just trying to enjoying getting into the positions the best I can and work on form and letting my body progress at its own pace.

Jeffrey Bittner

Don't worry Ted, we've all been there at one time or another. Keep working hard and you will see your improvement week after week.