This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MU negative

Started by Jin Liu, November 11, 2016 · 25 Replies · 367 Views

Jin Liu

Hi, I'm not doing any structured ring training, but it's been a while since i want to teach myself muscle up. I've been working on the negative before starting GST. I took a break and picked up GST in the hope that it will help me discover all my weak links and fix them (as i was not able to progress from the MU negative so there must be something not clicking). This is the first time i attempted MU negative since I started GST in August, and I want to slowly introduce the MU work into my routine again. By MU work, i mean false grip hang, false grip pull ups, assisted MU, MU negative, and a ton of shoulder/scap pulls & stretching (i've learned how important shoulder extension is thru GST, and all the amazing stretch and mobility work thru GST). Below is a video of what my MU negative looks like. Any advice, guys (there's gotta be a reason why i'm stuck on this)? If i do the MU work once or twice a week, will the progress be so slow that i might as well just wait till i'm through all the Foundation series? Really appreciate the feedback!

 

Kai Ewert

The negatives look nice, I don't see anything wrong with them or indications for why you are having trouble with the concentric.

I think it would be more helpful for advice if you post an attempt of a MU, so we could see where you get stuck. Might want to post that in the non-course forums though, I doubt the coaches will feel comfortable giving you advice here beyond "finish F(2or 4) first"...

If you do post elsewhere, tag me so I will see it...

Jin Liu

Thanks Kai! Will do! :) I've been wanting to try it again for some time (i know i'll fail again, but am curious to see if i feel any improvement). 

Everett Carroll

Hi Jin,

Until you are through at least Foundation Two for all movements, it is not even recommended you play with R1. If you have extra energy after training, practicing foundational exercises (specifically mobilities) would be much more productive.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jin, in order to obtain all the benefits from negative you have to consider a 10'' negative equally distributed. my preference as follows:

-from top to the lower part of a dip 3 seconds

-the transition (bottom of the dip to the top of pullup) must be covered in 4 seconds

-false grip negative pullup 3 seconds.

Jin Liu
37 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Jin, in order to obtain all the benefits from negative you have to consider a 10'' negative equally distributed. my preference as follows:

-from top to the lower part of a dip 3 seconds

-the transition (bottom of the dip to the top of pullup) must be covered in 4 seconds

-false grip negative pullup 3 seconds.

Awesome! Will set that as a goal!

Kai Ewert

@Alessandro Mainente I really appreciate you giving Jin (and thereby all of us) a real answer! Thank you!

Kai Ewert
22 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

Awesome! Will set that as a goal!

You are very close! Just slowing the pullup part a bit should do it, maybe slightly in the transition as well

Jin Liu

I swear I'm not over working this, and my main focus is still the F7's. I see some progress since the last video, and I'd like to have some more pointers, please! I can do 5 sets of 5 now, but I still feel what I do is a little different from the course video, and can't really tell what it is...

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jin, the muscleup negative begin from a correct support position.

Kai Ewert

Looking quite nice! Maybe a bit more control is possible, you could slow down even more.

Correct support position I believe would be arms fully locked, rings turned out at least 45 degrees, no touching of arms to rings or straps. That is quite hard, though the shorter straps in your setup will help. R1 of course has a whole progression for developing the correct and solid support...

Jin Liu
6 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Jin, the muscleup negative begin from a correct support position.

I agree. I'm still off on the proper RTO support, and I'm working on it. One day when I officially start the rings program, I'll redo everything properly. For now, I'm more focused on the transition part, and really want that MU... If that's too pre-mature, i understand..

Jin Liu
1 minute ago, Kai Ewert said:

Looking quite nice! Maybe a bit more control is possible, you could slow down even more.

Correct support position I believe would be arms fully locked, rings turned out at least 45 degrees, no touching of arms to rings or straps. That is quite hard, though the shorter straps in your setup will help. R1 of course has a whole progression for developing the correct and solid support...

Thanks @Kai Ewert! I will slow it down more, and really control it all the way. The RTO support is rough. I think my elbows are completely straight now, but my hands are too close to the body, with a pike in the hips, and of course i'm touching the straps. Still, slowly getting better :) 

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jin Liu, working on your RC progressions will get you your muscle ups. i am speaking from experience. work on your rows and refine the form. by the time you get to RC PE7, mu should be easy :)

Luke Searra

I highly recommend Leo's advice from practical experience @Jin Liu

Luke Searra

@Jin Liu the reason the turn out in the support position is important and an integral part of the muscle is because it develops brachialis and will prevent elbow tendonitis and secondarily shoulder injury

Jin Liu
3 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

@Jin Liu the reason the turn out in the support position is important and an integral part of the muscle is because it develops brachialis and will prevent elbow tendonitis and secondarily shoulder injury

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll keep working on the basics =]

 

Luke Searra

You are welcome @Jin Liu

Jin Liu

I did it!!! My very first one!!! :)

 

Leo Trinidad

Awesome @Jin Liu:) now work on your Foundations. hehe

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Jin Liu said:

I did it!!! My very first one!!! :)

 

 

Siiick! Well done.

Jin Liu
11 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Awesome @Jin Liu:) now work on your Foundations. hehe

I do Foundations everyday (or almost)! =D MU negative is only once a week cuz i don't want to over stress my elbows. 

Jin Liu

Was so excited, and I did one of these. Could never finish in the support position before, now I can! Just imagine all the cool stuff you'll be able to do after MU!! :) (I will take it slow. Foundation is still my main focus!)

 

Kai Ewert

Hard work paying dividends!

Darin Phoenix

Well done Jin Liu.

I personally love seeing somebody achieve their fitness goals.

As Leo suggested make sure to stay focussed on your Foundations as this will unlock many more skills down the track. Most importantly enjoy your training and celebrate the successes that you have along the journey.

I look forward to seeing your future progress.