I have only done the thoracic stretch course twice, but when I get to the bridges I can barely perform any, certainly none elevated. I do not have stall bars but some furniture that will suffice until I figure out the stall bar at my house. Before I even get to any elevation where do I start? Should I just being doing bridge from the ground until I have that mastered? Thank you!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Elevated Thoracic Bridge: Where to start?
Started by Ryan Bradley, November 11, 2016 · 17 Replies · 478 Views
Hi Ryan!
Are you able to perform a bridge from the floor but not elevated? The reason why elevate the feet is to isolate the thoracic more.
If you're able to get into the position from the ground, you can walk your feet up to an elevated pisition from there. Another way to get into the elevated bridge is by kicking into a handstand with your back facing the wall (remember to walk away from the wall a bit). Then walk your feet down the wall and lean into the stretch. You're supposed to feel the stretch through your shoulders and upper back.
Feel free to post a video as well and it'll be easier to give you some cues
Hi there. I have also started with this course and I cannot get into the bridge posision at all, not elevated nor from the ground. I think it might be my pushing stregth from my shoulders that is too weak to even lift me up? What can I do to progress to be able to do the thoracic bridge? Your advice will be greatly appeciated!
Hi Thelmarie,
You are doing just fine for now. It is totally normal to not complete the entire series at first. Over time, as your strength and mobility improve, you will be able to complete more and more of the series. Keep it up!
I've had trouble doing the bridges as well, there are a couple variations, one @Alessandro Mainente recommended was to just push the hips up and push up to rest on your head and then put your hands out wider to take the stress off of your triceps to push all the way up and stack your hands back underneath once up.
I could barely hold even those though so I started doing slides into low bridge like this guy and it has been helping me a ton:
Trevor this variation has low benefits on bridge development for different reasons:
-excessive lower back arch
-weight on the fingers of the hand and not on the palm
-people doing that learn how to shift the weight on the fingers of the feet rather than on the heels. since a student needs to understand how to properly push with glutes I find this variation not suitable for a beginner.
I also had problems to lift into an elevated bridge, for 13 weeks of trial and error, I started to use a thick rubber band that I hook above and wrap around my waist. It makes it easier to push off into the elevated bridge. Last week was my first time I was able to do it. This week I also did 5 elevated push-ups, yay
. I think this is a great solution. I will use less and less help of the band as I get stronger, until I won't need it at all. I hope :-)
Below is my set up. You can do it even if you don't have stall bars, just figure out how and to what hook the band. Do not observe my technique, it's my first time, just the set up
Today I was able to start high up on the rungs (no need to walk up) and also make the push more explosive and cleaner. The body is learning fast. I think it could work for you too!
On 11/10/2016 at 9:31 PM, Pauline Taube said:Hi Ryan!
Are you able to perform a bridge from the floor but not elevated? The reason why elevate the feet is to isolate the thoracic more.
If you're able to get into the position from the ground, you can walk your feet up to an elevated pisition from there. Another way to get into the elevated bridge is by kicking into a handstand with your back facing the wall (remember to walk away from the wall a bit). Then walk your feet down the wall and lean into the stretch. You're supposed to feel the stretch through your shoulders and upper back.
Feel free to post a video as well and it'll be easier to give you some cues
![]()
Hello all and thanks!
Pauline, I am able to perform it from the ground and even had an easier time than just a week ago. I would say my biggest problem is the arms and shoulders. I have trouble straightening them out. I think it would be best for me to up load an example, so I will try that over the weekend. I am still learning my way around ![]()
If you struggle to lock out the arms and have tight shoulders I would not recommend doing the bridges from the floor. Tight hip flexors can also make it hard to get into the right position.
The elevation will help you emphasize thoracic extension and shoulder flexion ![]()
Cool, I needed to read this topic. Out of all three stretch series this is the one I struggle the most with no doubt. I can just barely lift myself off from the floor into a bridge, there is no way I could do it elevated, let alone hold. When doing the bridgewalk at the end I just collapse. Sigh it sucks to be this stiff ![]()
Hi Henning, I suggest you to spend a couple of minutes everyday if possible on the elevated cat. in cases of very tight shoulders we need a strong one session once a week and a sort of reminder for our brain.
Oh so it is ok to do some stretches throughout the week? I will certainly do some elevated cat every day then. I have my own stall bars so that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks Alessandro.
Also is it needed to do the whole series in the stretch courses in one go to get more mobile? I feel pretty worn out by thoracic bridge at the end. Side/Front split is not nearly the same.
Hi Henning,
I would recommend to do the whole stretch course in one go once a week in addition to your daily stretches
Also if you notice imbalances during bridge or handstand you can consider to do the elevated cat one arm at time.
Hello. My wife and I are new to GST. We tried the thoracic bridge stretching course for the first time and it was tough. I was able to get into the elevated bridge, but struggled on the bridge push-ups. I didn't even attempt to walk my hands down to the bridge because I don't have stall bars and pictured myself walking down the wall until I fell on my head. My wife lacked the strength to get up in the bridge. I assisted her up, but she can't hold it, much less do the push-ups. I had a couple of questions: 1) Is this common for beginners? It was pretty disheartening. 2) Since there's no rating, just a "Done" button, will this progress to harder and harder stuff even if we're not ready? We totally understand the need to take it slow and make steady progress, but I worry that we're going to get harder stretch courses when we're still struggling mightily with the first one. 3) Is there any way GB could add some technique tips or coaching to the stretching courses so we can make sure we're getting the finer points right? Thanks in advance.
Hello Will,
No need to feel apprehensive.
For the time being simply go as far into the Thoracic bridge series as you are comfortable going. As your strength and mobility improve you will naturally find that you are able to go deeper into the series.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
1 hour ago, Will Eustis said:My wife lacked the strength to get up in the bridge. I assisted her up, but she can't hold it, much less do the push-ups.
Just to make your wife feel better… It took me 13 weeks before I was able to get into the elevated bridge, and it was still not fully on my own. I am using a thick rubber band that assists me (as I don't have a person to assist me, and my dog doesn't get it that this is not a playtime, ha ha). The first 13 weeks when I each time failed to get into the bridge, I just did the easy (standing) version that you see in the technique videos (not the follow along videos). I did the pushups and hip taps that way too.
I was horrified after my first Thoracic Bridge session, ha ha. I saw myself as quite athletic before that… I had to readjust my values of "athleticism" ![]()
Long story short… do your best each time, and you will be surprised how much better you get each week.
I also have been on TS since sept and find it hard. I took suzanna's idea of a strap to help get up and finding I am progressing slowly but progressing. I also during the week after working out I do a handstand against the wall and then walk my hands out a bit and then hold this and This is helping my shoulders and arms. I try each day I do this to get alittle farther away from the wall. I then push my chest out as far as i can. Do not feel alone there are many people that find Thoracic stretch hard. Remember this is a long journey and will take time. After weeks I have noticed small changes. Do not let frustration defeat you. When I started I thought OH S--- can I do this but I kept at it and I now know you bet I can.
Michael