This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 shoulder position question

Started by George Traganidas 235308, November 10, 2016 · 1 Replies · 109 Views

George Traganidas 235308

When I do the mobility part of this exercise I keep my shoulders elevated and I try to protract my shoulder blades (separate them and bring them forward). This feel unnatural to me and I feel my upper sides lock up, just beneath the arm pits, and reduces the range on how back I can pull my arms. Is that the correct way of doing this exercise?

Before I did it the way I described above, I just elevated my shoulders and I noticed that my shoulder blades wanted to move backwards and when I tried to pull my arms more backwards, I get a good range of motion. It was still hard, but it felt natural.

I aim to lift my arms all the way up and touch the ceiling and then move them up and back to touch the back wall, this is the visualisation I use to get a full extension up and back.

 

Thanks,

George

Alessandro Mainente

Hi George, in order to hold your mind fresh you have to avoid retraction. please notice that if the shoulders are healthy then the serratus anterior provides a certain amount of protraction when you move the arms on flexion.