This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lack of progress on Jefferson Curl depth.

Started by Alex Hurley, November 10, 2016 · 10 Replies · 291 Views

Alex Hurley

I've been working on my Jefferson Curls for the past few months since starting F1, I'm now up to the point where it's actually integrated into the programme (MN/PE2 3x5). I'm using an empty Olympic bar and have progressed previously up to this using lighter Kettlebells however I don't seem to be getting much further in flexibility/mobility! (currently lower shins to ankles).  

Anyone experienced the same? Am I being impatient??  I'm 6'1 and 98kg and not known to be the most flexible guy in the world and this is improving, I jut feel i'm stalling here!

Thanks

Alex,UK

Everett Carroll

Hi Alex,

Can you submit a video? Also, do you own the front split stretch series?

Mark Anderson

Alex:

I feel your pain...but am starting to see quantifiable improvements. Background: 61, 5'10", 180ish (yay Thrive) and very stiff when I started. I have been doing F1 and the Stretch series for about 6 or 7 months. Just started with JCs 2 or 3 months ago. I, too, am using an empty Oly bar now. I started at about the ankles and have progressed to the center or top of the bar at platform level, an improvement of about 3-4 inches, with 2-3 inches more to go.

One thing became very clear over the past few months: progress in flexibility has not been linear. Seemed like nothing was changing until the last month. Then the consistency began paying dividends. The synergy between FSs and JCs is pretty powerful. Pike position has improved a lot. I hypothesize that TBs has helped a bit, too. Also noted that both hamstring and glute mobility/flexibility played a role.

Oh yes, one more thing: I usually do 5 sets independent of what Step I am on for MN/PE2 (or any other element). I do the programmed sets for both strength and mobility. Then, after a brief rest, I add in extra sets to make a total of 5 so I get in some more volume without trashing myself. This is a (modified) tactic mentioned by Jon Douglas in an earlier thread that seems to be paying dividends.

No words of wisdom, just stick with it.

Mark

Alex Hurley

Thanks to both for reply. If you search on Instagram 'bodyweight_dad_uk' I have a video on there. 

I don't have the front split series as can't afford it but I'm doing my own thing based on stuff I've researched. Hoping to get Thoracic bridge for Xmas. 

 

Alex

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Alex Hurley,

I have seen your video and you need to keep your feet elevated for the jefferson curls. You are also rushing on the way up of your JC. Make sure that you do the exercise slowly and really one vertebrae at a time. Keep working on it. Your progress is not stalling. Its normal.

Mark Collins

As you improve on the FL series and front splits the JC will improve.

Kevin Easton

I find if I go slow on my JC with a nice pause at the bottom each rep gets slightly deeper and deeper.  The next day my hamstrings feel like I put them through a workout - sore.

Alex Hurley

Thanks all for the input.

Leo, I kinda figured if I couldn't even reach the floor there wasn't any point in elevating the feet yet?? 

Alex Hurley

I take on board what your saying regarding speed, what would you suggest? 10seconds/eccentric phase??

Kevin Easton

I am by no means a professional, however I have the same issue you do and I found a 5 sec down, 5 sec stretch, and 5 sec up tempo is good for me.   

I really need to focus on the technique so the slow pace allows me to keep good form.   If I went too quick I'd cheat to compensate for low mobility.   And this pace I can feel the stretch down my back all the way to my calves

Alex Hurley

I've reviewed my video and 100% agree that I was going too quickly.

I thought you weren't meant to hold the bottom position so you maintain tension of the core.