This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Interesting stomach cramps

Started by Erlend Hunstad, November 10, 2016 · 8 Replies · 131 Views

Erlend Hunstad

Hi, I am new here, and so far loving the program.

I went in big, and got everything (that I can). So bin doing the 3 stretch series for about 2 months, combined with F1 and H1. 

But during the core workout, and actually more, during the front splits, I get this really weird cramp. It is isolated to the second left part of the rectus abdominus (the six pack). At first, i tried to just ignore it, but then I fell together in a crying-child position. It seems to hit during the "Standing Single Pike" and the Pike. 
It is kind of fascinating, because the muscle cramps like crazy, and you can feel it bulge, like a dent in a plate.
I have actually tried professional help first, but they also got really fascinated by my problem :) . I do live in a rural desolated place, so my choices are limited.
It is kind of painful, but I don't think it is dangerous. It is more weird

Have anyone experienced the same?
Is it just weakness leaving the body?  
Anyone have suggestions ?   

ps. My fitness level is decent 

Everett Carroll

Hi Erlend,

I have not seen this before. @Alessandro Mainente Or @Wesley Tan may be able to help you more. 

Alessandro Mainente

Actually how is your pike and your front split? how much tight are you in the posterior chain? how much do you breath on your belly during the stretch position?

Erlend Hunstad
12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Actually how is your pike and your front split? how much tight are you in the posterior chain? how much do you breath on your belly during the stretch position?

My pike is by no means perfect, but if on a scale of 1-8, the norm being about 3, I would be a 4. My front split is probably 4,5 (I have been doing a lot of martial arts).
I do find that my quads and front hip is about -4.

My breathing is decent; I do pretty controlled inhales and exhales. Try to use it as a focus point for avoiding "fidgeting", but when the cramp kicked in, it was pretty tough:)  
I was thinking it could be the psoas or something,and that the cramp is just the link in the chain kicking in. I do get this sometimes also when i do similar movements to an L-sit.

I do have the feeling that following the program is working, and that this is more a interesting results of imbalances in my body coming to the surface, but it was a bite painful.  

Alessandro Mainente

Are you eating enough CA2+ during the day?

Erlend Hunstad

Hmmm, I do think so, but I will keep that in mind. 
 

Guido Franchetti

Not sure if this is related, but I sometimes get cramps, albeit not terribly intense, in the abs when I am trying to actively "pulling" to get more range in the standing pike. I am not sure why that happens, as the abs are not hip flexors as far as I know...

Erlend Hunstad
On 16.11.2016 at 10:43 AM, Guido Franchetti said:

Not sure if this is related, but I sometimes get cramps, albeit not terribly intense, in the abs when I am trying to actively "pulling" to get more range in the standing pike. I am not sure why that happens, as the abs are not hip flexors as far as I know...

I do think this fits with my feeling, except that on a certain point, It goes bananas!
After starting this discussion, I did try changing my breathing, and it at least made me more aware of the starting point. But I kind of think this is just the muscle that is "weaker" than the rest, and I might have hade some damage are (hav been doing a lot of BJJ and MMA). 

 

Guido Franchetti

Well, when I start cramping I exit the position, wait a few moments and then resume, if you fight the cramp I can imagine it getting very hard! There needs not to be any damage in your abs, as far as I know it is normal for muscles contracted from a very shortened position to cramp. One thing which may help is to actively push a bit less and have more of a pulling action with the hands. Active compression is good, but at least for me it is difficult to work thorugh cramps.