Magnesium & zinc supplements

Started by Michael Miskelly, November 10, 2016 · 2 Replies · 3,327 Views

Michael Miskelly

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable then me could shed some light on this as I couldn't find answers while researching myself.

I have read in multiple places over the Internet that magnesium and zinc compete with each other for absorption, so is it better to take them separately throughout the day when supplementing? Would taking one in the morning and the other before training in the evening allow them to be utilized more effectively compared to both in the morning? 

Jeff Serven

zinc and calcium

Steven Silbert
On 11/10/2016 at 2:49 AM, Michael Miskelly said:

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable then me could shed some light on this as I couldn't find answers while researching myself.

I have read in multiple places over the Internet that magnesium and zinc compete with each other for absorption, so is it better to take them separately throughout the day when supplementing? Would taking one in the morning and the other before training in the evening allow them to be utilized more effectively compared to both in the morning? 

I use a topical recovery oil developed by Mike Mahler that has Magnesium, Zinc, and MSM in it. After 2 weeks of usage, I've been waking up earlier every morning and feeling much more rested. I thought you might be interested in this one because it has both of the minerals you were asking about. Tim Ferriss posted a link on Facebook to an article about testosterone on Charles Poloquin's site which linked to Mike Mahler's supplements. Here's the link:

http://mikemahler.com/nutrition-supplements/aggressive-strength-recovery-oil