This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is Anyone Still Doing F7?

Started by Brian Michalski, November 9, 2016 · 17 Replies · 407 Views

Brian Michalski

I was under the impression that with the old format the goal was to build up endurance so that one could complete F7 in a single workout. With the new format, it appears that a split (core/lower and upper) is the preferred method with each workout being performed 1X/week.

Is anyone still doing an F7 workout? Is anyone completing core/legs and upper more than 1X/week?

Just interested in knowing. I've tried  4 day/week, 3 day/week (under the old format) as well as once/week. My progress seems to be the same - minimal. I appear to be held back by two things - a lack of strength and a lack of mobility. :) I'd like to know what others find best. Thanks

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Yes, I am still completing all foundation seven training elements and the handstand elements twice a week. Plus some supplementary free weight training after my F7 and Handstand workouts are finished.

Suzanna McGee

I am doing F7 twice a week, H1/H2 twice a week… MSS/FSS/TBS once a week. It's been working great, but now I am taking quite intense pole fitness classes once a week, and afterwards my shoulders are so beat up/tired, that my F7/HS suffers the day after. I may need to change it up.

Jon Douglas

I'm doing each twice a week plus extra mobility and rings, but not in an f7 format right now :)

Mark Schoenhard

F7 and H1-3 two times a week.  M1, TBS, MSS, FSS once a week. 

Luzian Scherrer

I've tried all seven elements in one session for a short while but it takes too much time and it is still too hard for me. For me a 3/4 split makes the individual workouts last about one hour including warmup. F7 is just too much...

Christian Nogueira

Doing F7 twice and H1/2 twice a week. Since I frequently travel sometimes I split it up according to what equipment and time is available but I try do every exercise assignment twice a week.

Luzian Scherrer

How long does it take you in total to do a whole F7 workout?

Christian Nogueira

Depends on the elements and weeks I'm at. I'd say an hour and 20 minutes the longest.

Brian Michalski

F7 takes me about 1:15-20.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

The best thing about the new format is that if need be you can switch it up on a moment's notice. For instance, I was camping so I couldn't get a great workout in on Monday, and then some unforeseen news kept me up pretty late Tuesday night...so today I'm pulling an F7 routine (and likely on Saturday) to make up for missed workouts. Not an optimal choice, but neither was my week's routine. F7 definitely leaves me winded, too, @Luzian Scherrer but sometimes it's nice/helpful to have gotten everything done in one workout when time is tight. 

Jon Douglas

I plan to re institute F7 when I have finished a couple more elements; for now I feel I am progressing better on high frequency / shorter workouts and my time is at a premium :)

Douglas Wadle

I have a lot of sport specific training I do, so my workouts have declined to the split workout 4 x weekly.  F7 + my running/skiing is just too much for my recovery.  I'm in a big strength block right now, so doing strength more than usual, about 6 days per week.  I have finished SLS progressions, so am now doing mostly deadlifting and weighted SLS and plyometrics for that component.  I do something with the legs every workout.

Mark Anderson

I've been doing the following with upper body and core in an ABA BAB format:

M--Upper body (A) or Core (B), Lower body, FSs

T-- HS1

W--Core (B) or Upper body (A), TBs

Th--HS1

F--Upper body (A) or Core (B), Lower body, MSs

Even though it is only a small change, I've been making better progress with this than the previous 30 minute format. Not sure why. I like what Jon said about smaller chunks more often, and what Daniel said about flexibility to move things around if need be. Both are excellent advantages of the new format.

Mark

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Normally I split it up similarly. 

Monday - Upper, Lower body, FSs

Tuesday - H1/2 and light yoga

Wednesday - Upper, Core, TBs

Thursday - Repeat Tuesday

Friday - Core, Lower Body, MSs

* sometimes I might switch whether I do Core or Upper Body on Monday or Friday but it's all the same come Sunday.

I feel like this layout covers everything nicely as I do each Foundation workout twice and it gives me a good warmup for the relevant muscles of the stretch series for that day while also keeping my workout short enough to allow for ample warmup and cooldown (wherein I can do whatever extra mobility I feel is necessary).

With the holidays coming up, though, I'll probably have a few more F7 workouts thrown in the mix for obvious reasons.

 

Edit: On Saturday and Sunday (schedule permitting), I try to do a longer session of yoga, say for 30-60 minutes. It limbers me up and works all the areas cohesively, as happens with the follow-along stretch series videos. Of course, this doesn't always occur when social activities come up (boozy brunches, birthdays, camping trips, holidays, etc.)--my body does enjoy the extra limbering, however.

Adam Porter

I do an F7 twice a week (typically Tuesday/Friday). I only have Foundation 1, and I've only been at it for a couple months. Twice a week seems just right. Once my Monday evening commitment stops in another few weeks, I might try for 3 F7's a week. Or, if I've got some money saved up by then, I might throw in a Stretch or Handstand program.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Go with stretch series

Leo Trinidad

The new interface has a great potential. Im doing F7 once a week now and broken down into clusters. I am doing low volume now since I am integrating stuff I learned from the previous GB Seminars I have attended. Still working on warmup/programming to determine what's best for me. I am looking forward on maximizing the new interface. :)