This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bent arms

Started by Leonhard Krahé, November 9, 2016 · 2 Replies · 122 Views

Leonhard Krahé

Hi everyone,

Another thing that has been bothering me. Some time ago, I realized that in any position where I put my arms under load with shoulders open (or in my case, semi-open), I can't fully lock my elbows, no matter how much I push, right side worse than left. I first noticed that in elevated bridge (hence I'm posting here) but have also seen this in handstand and even when holding an Olympic bar overhead. Only recently, I made the connection to my trouble with keeping elbows locked during scap shrugs. I believe this is caused by tight biceps (which I definitely have) and shoulder impingement (also, right side is much worse than left).
I have already seen a lot of improvement from the TB stretch course and Xiaopengs, I also do some light shoulder extension/biceps stretch in every warmup and after most workouts. By now, I have improved to the degree where I can keep my elbows locked during scap shrugs and I also can visibly extend the elbow further than I used to.
Again, how do I proceed? Is it acceptable to keep going with arms as straight as possible, i.e. slightly bent, for the time being while keeping it a priority to further loosen up my biceps?

As always, any input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 

Kind regards

 

Leo

Everett Carroll

Hi Leonhard,

This is a good question. Keep working hard on the thoracic bridge series and be sure you can totally lock your elbows before progressing past any straight arm movements from your other courses. When you are doing stretches like the cat variations, make sure you have totally locked elbows and don't stretch past the point that you can keep them locked. Post some form checks for some of the straight arm movements from the first half of this series (table rocks, supine shoulder extension, elevated cat, band pulls, etc.) and also look into finding a good physio who can work with you on your shoulder impingement issues. 

@Alessandro Mainente, do you have any other suggestions?

Alessandro Mainente

The situation it is a bit complex, specific muscles test must be done. a general test that gives me a lot of info it is this one.

hqdefault.jpg

if you cannot reach the floor with hands closer BUT with arms straight then the lats are the primary problem coupled with a tight anterior capsule.

if you cannot hold them straight there is an involvement of also the pec , subscapularis and possibly the rotator cuff.

if you are experimenting the second option you should check a physio for specific length test.