This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fiber

Started by Sam Andersen, November 9, 2016 · 13 Replies · 247 Views

Sam Andersen

What is the best way to incorporate more fiber into my meals while staying true to Thrive principles? 

Ryan Bailey

Hi Sam, 

I thought of a few questions: (because is sort of depends on someone's perception of how much fiber they need and wether or not they are finished with Thrive)

Where are you in the Thrive course? What amount of fiber do you feel you need?

I just ran some numbers with a low, or moderate calorie intake example and came up with adequate fiber, using whole foods.

But, I am sure you know this if you are finished with the course.

Sam Andersen

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply.  I am finished with the course.   I have been for some time now.  I feel I need more fiber because following the portions in Thrive I get constipated.  I have been eating a lot of vegetables just as the course demands.  The vegetables I eat are mostly broccoli, brussell sprouts.   Other vegetables are mixed in there but those are the ones I eat the most.

 

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I am wondering if I need to get some fiber in during breakfast.  Right now breakfast is 5 eggs scrambled.  I eat the eggs at 445am.  At 1030 I have a cup of oatmeal (homemade of course). At 130pm I eat my lunch which usually incorporates a large green kale salad (I will post a picture this afternoon on the forum) along with my starch and protein.  Dinner usually happens around 6-7pm.  Again some vegetable starch and protein.   Maybe I missed something or my portions aren't large enough.  

 

Ryan Bailey

Cool Sam, I am sure you will get some good feedback on this forum. Things that come to mind regarding fiber or constipation:

portion sizes,

types of starches  (Roots, tubers, or squashes mixed in), skin or no skin on tubers ect.

Types of fat at lunch (oil vs. whole foods mixed in at times, I am thinking of Jeff's step 9 video for options) also,

activity during the day (sitting job, or active changing positions throughout the day, adequate hydration, ect)

Just some thoughts, hopefully others will chime in.

Leonhard Krahé

Hi Sam,

Since when do you have that problem, and when did you finish Thrive? Are you still completing your water goal? What starches are you having?

A simple solution could be just upping the portion size for your veggies and/or, as you already suggested, having some veggies or salad with your breakfast (I sometimes feel like adding some because they nicely mix up breakfast and add a little more color).

Sam Andersen

The starches that I usually eat are rice and potatoes.  Maybe once a week I will do a sweet potato or yam. With the potato I always have the skin on and I always eat it plain.  During the summer harvest I would eat lots of squash until the plants no longer produce then I move on to something else.  For my fat at lunch I usually have Avocado, sometimes I will have Greek yogurt or whole milk.  My job is fairly active.  I am on my feet for most of the day.  I usually walk between 7 and 8 miles a day at work (according to my vivioactive hr).  I do make my hydration goal each day.  

Thanks Ryan and Leonard for your replies.

Ryan Bailey

Well then... the trendy Squatty-potty + coffee it is!   Final answer.

Just kidding... sounds like you have it dialed in nicely.

Sam Andersen
1 minute ago, Ryan Bailey said:

Well then... the trendy Squatty-potty + coffee it is!   Final answer

Had a good laugh at that one.

Philip Papandrea

Sometimes too much fiber can be an issue as well. Fiber can add bulk to your stools and maybe make it hard to pass. Vegetables are good but more isn't always better. Everyone is different. For me the fistful of veggies is just about right. Have you tried to experiment with different types of vegetables to see if it's a specific one that is causing a problem? I do better with leafy greens but if I eat broccoli or peppers too many times in a week it starts bothering me.  I try to vary the veggies each day. You also mentioned that your starches are rice and potatoes. I know for me if I eat rice it makes it a little harder to go and if I have it multiple days in a row it definitely makes it harder. Just my personal experiences. Hope it helps. I also second the squatty potty idea!

Sam Andersen

You make a good point about the rice.  It reminded me of a home remedy for diarrhea that includes drinking rice water.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Julia Quigley

One other option to experiment with is fat. The fat guidelines in Thrive allow for pretty big variation in grams of fat per meal, and it sounds like you're eating on the lower end of the spectrum. Maybe try oils for your lunch fat and adding some fat at dinner and see if that changes your experience. 

Sam Andersen

Thanks Julia

Adrian Theopold

Had the same problem(obstipation) as Sam since I can remember and always thought this pain in the ass (literally) was normal.

Then had inguinal hernia 4 years ago and really had to have an eye on this, what helps me out are really tons of vegetables + movement (which I usally get) + stuff like wheat bran or flee seeds taken before bedtime in small doses.

When I don't get this problems start all over again, for example when visiting my parents for a longer period of time and eating their 'normal' diet. Then squatty to potty is basically the only option XD.

One thing that also helps is having a regular timing (for example after breakfast) and trying to maintain as good as possible, as your stomach remembers when it should empty itself.

 

One last word, haven't finished thrive and the amount of fat it incorperates is definitly much larger than what I normally eat. When done I will experiment a little whith the amount of wheat bran I need, and post an update (expecting 3-4 months or so).

Btw, topic is fun :lol:.

Adrian Theopold

So here's the update:

Finished Thrive and still eating lot of veggies in the afternoon + evening, but definitely don't need "enhancers" like flee seeds anymore. I overdo the veggie portion size Jeff suggests quite strongly, but I think he somewhere mentions as long as you can stomach it, there shouldn't be a problem.

I think Thrive promotes a solid gut flora, but here I 'm mainly guessing. Besides adding more fat to my diet and getting rid of bread and adding tons of rice instead I haven't changed too much. But I think minor changes might make the effect here.

Besides that I feel good and haven't thought about this topic in a while.

Cheers,

Adrian