This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curls and back pain

Started by Xabier Errea Mayo, November 6, 2016 · 11 Replies · 234 Views

Xabier Errea Mayo

Hi,

So my story is...after showing mastery (forum approval) on MNPE1 y started my MNPE2 journey almost a year ago...I started slow (2,5 kgs each 4 every 4 weeks) building up to 35 kg. Then I developed some pain in lower part of the back, just around tailbone, I can't be more specific. I went to a physiotherapist and recommended some rest as my lower back discs where a bit inflamed...so after some massage and feeling much better I had three weeks no training and then started again from 5 kilos building up 2,5 per 4 weeks cycle again, then last week when training with 25 kg again I started feeling some pain around the same area…After thinking about this, although I was granted mastery on first progression, it seems to me that I still don’t have enough hamstring and posterior chain flexibility to start Jefferson Curls. My explanation is that I recall reading somewhere that until you can’t pike with straight back (APT)  until closing 90º, is better not to start with these. I’m afraid that because a lack of hamstring flexibility I’m putting too much strain on lower back during Jefferson Curls…could that be? If I’m correct I’ve already thought about some rest and take some time to improve posterior chain flexibility (mostly hamstrings) until I can pass easily the 90º flat back pike and get back to MNPE1 in the meantime…How that sounds to you?

Thanks and best regards,

Xabi

Bas Albinus

I think as long as you keep a strong ppt, tuck your chin and roll one vertebrae at a time while pushing your hip forward, jefferson curls should not put too much strain on your lower back. I'd rather keep the weight low and get as much stretch as possible out of the exercise if you think ham string flexibility is your weak link. It's great to improve ham string flexibility!
I keep the weight rather low and focus on the mobility element not so much the strength element of the exercise. 

 

Xabier Errea Mayo

I'm sure that I'm doing them technically correct (ppt, one vertebra at a time...) and still when reaching the very end of my ROM is when my back pain suffers.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Xabier, can you post a video of your JC? i'm pretty interested to see how and where you spine begin to bend.

Ronnicky Roy

I second on the video. I wonder if at the higher weights if you begin to break form enough to cause issues. That aside I recommend maintaining standing windmills in your warmup rather than dropping back a PE entirely.

So stay at your current progression. Drop the weight on J curls to a weight that always feels easy no matter how tired you are. And warmup with standing windmills.

Personally I've held myself at PE1 mastery until my mobility catches up. I always feel/hear a click in the left hip when doing windmills on the first rep of the first set. And I do all PE1 mobility exercises in my mornings regardless of whether or not I workout.

 

Xabier Errea Mayo

Many many thanks for the replies :). Now I'm suffering from gastroenteritis but whenever I feel better I'll post my PE1 PE2 exercices so we might sort out where the problem is!:)"

Patrick Rentz

I have a similar low back issue, especially with J Curls, and was having trouble progressing past PE2.

@Alessandro Mainente after seeing my MN PE1 suggested I go back and refine the iM. Did you get forum approval of mastery for the iM or just the PE? I just ask because there's a little less stress on the low back with the windmill variation, but you're still using weighted compression.

Alessandro Mainente

Nice suggestion and question Patrick. In case of too much tight hamstring from the previous not-mastered IM you can feel to much tension on the lower back because the upper body tends to remain horizontal instead on curl all the way down in the spine.

Petri Widsten
12 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Nice suggestion and question Patrick. In case of too much tight hamstring from the previous not-mastered IM you can feel to much tension on the lower back because the upper body tends to remain horizontal instead on curl all the way down in the spine.

I have the opposite problem. I do JCs after MS/FS (once a week, alternating them) and sometimes my legs feel like spaghetti.

Ronnicky Roy

Was watching this video and made me think of your issue. Maybe this deadlift stretch could be a good diagnosis considering windmills are trying to open up your hamstring mobility to atleast 90 degrees folding forward.

 

 

Xabier Errea Mayo

Many thanks Roy:)

I'm still to recover and post my videos, but after reviewing the front split series technical videos, it clearly says that If you are not able to bend with a straight back and APT enough in pike-like stretches, you might be loading your lower back way too much. So I'm pretty sure that I have to develop more hamstrings flexibility prior to getting to JC. Ego Is the enemy pals, if you are not progressing chances are that you are doing it wrong!:)

Ronnicky Roy

That's a recent change I made aswell. I was only thinking APT for MSs stretches and PPT for pretty much everything else. Makes sense really. Here's to more malleable hamstrings *cheers*