Strenght training for a fighter

Started by Karl Winroth, November 6, 2016 · 8 Replies · 3,153 Views

Karl Winroth

So i've heard alot of gymnastics give strenght and i'd like to test it out abit.. If anyone knows gymnastic bodyweight exercises or something like that for upperbody strenght would appreciate !:) ty

Everett Carroll

Hi Karl,

Thanks for posting! The best course to begin your gymnastics strength training is the Fundamentals course. Fundamentals is a month long, gentle introduction to GST. After that month, you are prepared to begin with Foundation One and Stretch, which begin seriously addressing basic strength, mobility, and flexibility. 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/training/

We love helping new students get started so if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Carl, it depends on the nature of the martial arts specifically.

let me explain: for a fighter using punches the planche progression especially for the posture it is extremely useful, the manna progression develops strength in the hips flexor for future explosive kicks, side lever work improves the rotational strength and stretch reflex in order to obtain more power from the hips twist during punches.

Luke Searra

Hello Carl,

In my personal experience using GST with UFC fighters and grapplers that all parts of Foundations and specifically Handstand One for strikers will work exceptionally well for both wrist, hip and knee prehabilitation but when you get strong enough to use Rings one you will feel the benefits even more.  

Alessandro Mainente

Pretty interesting Luke, from my pov I trained a couple of Judoka and wrestlers (greco-roman wrestling). the benefit that they got from the beginning part of manna in foundations 1 saved their back from injury.

Everett Carroll

One of my students competes in MMA and chooses to train the whole curriculum (Foundation One, Stretch, Handstand, and basic movement drills from the Tumbling course). He and I both agree with Alex: the manna and planche progressions have done more than expected. Stretching middle split, front split, and thoracic bridge like clockwork makes a dramatic difference in his success month to month. He MUST stretch. 

Luke Searra

That's extremely interesting Alex, great food for thought. GST is a great all encompassing system. Thank you Coach Sommer.

David Beckerman

Rope climbing is awesome for grapplers grip and pulling strength. The whole progression allows for almost direct training for a judoka like myself. 

The GST series has great carry over!

Bas Albinus

I thought I was doing quiet ok in terms of core strength, full body tension etc. due to my years of boxing and Muay Thai training with related strength/conditioning circuits. Starting with GST I realied how flawed my approach to many exercises was. Form is key and mobility is crucial to stay strong AND healthy! I had kind of accepted that now at 40 my body would not work as well as it did not too long ago and that I'd be in some(or even a lot of) pain here n there. I know now that's not true, rather stupid. With GST and the paired strength + mobility exercises I'm working on fixing problems, reactivating joints, preventing injury and getting strong (again) in the long run.