This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Totally confused Getting Started

Started by Duke Sayer, November 5, 2016 · 5 Replies · 319 Views

Duke Sayer

Hey guys,

I wouldn't consider myself dumb, but with no gymnastics knowledge, the new layout has confused the hell out of me. I recently quit the gym to force me to use this program and when I logged back in after a while since initially purchasing I really don't understand it.

I like to be able to see progression, know what I'm shooting for etc..

As the format is now, I have no idea what protocols I should be going for. I can't even tell what course I bought originally now..

Ultimately I'd like to make my body more supple, get some abs and retain my upper body size and strength. 

I can train every day for an hour (as that's what I'm used to).. or multiple times a day (totaling an hour) even as I have always recovered incredibly fast whatever training I did.

I looked a the kilroy plan, but don't understand how it relates now...

My ultimate goal is to be able to handstand presses while balancing (not against a wall), increase overall body health, flexibility and connection. 

Sorry for the essay. Much appreciate any advice or help!



 

Tanya Hill

Hi Duke, 

Glad to hear you are ready to get back into training. 

Simply log into your course click on what you want to work on for that day and begin. Yup its that simple now. 

You can definitely view the full progressions when you click on the course itself instead of the workouts.

GymnasticBodies has all the answers for your goals. Dedicate your time and make GST apart of your lifestyle and we will get you there. ;) 

 

Kevin Herring

Near the top of the Dashboard, there is a green bar that says Note from Coach Sommer.  Read it.  Take two minutes off and read it again.  A lot of people's questions are answered there.  

Basically in order to increase the ability for people to gain consistency (progress) with the program it has been changed to allow for more adaptable options.  Plus many were not progressing in Single Leg Squats and Rope Climbs so the Foundations were adjusted to address the weaknesses.  It was for the best of the group as a whole. 

Choose a workout (Core for example) and follow along with the video instructional and rate your workout according to the level.  There is a emoji that expresses how well you did.  It takes a bit to get used to but not that much.  I do track the actual reps in my journal but the emoji allows the algorithm to adjust up or down to you.  There is a "Settings" button on the side if you're really off in your levels and need to make a big adjustment.  

The recommended order is Core, Lower, Upper for the foundations.  One a day, combine two or more in one training session, do multiple workouts a day.  Up to you to discover what works best for you.

There are several scheduling options that are going on in other posts. 

An example being Core+Lower in one day.  Upper is done on the next workout.  This could be an alternating A-B workout done MWF or four days a week split M/Th and Tu/F. 

I have access to other programs and am experimenting with morning: Core, evening: Lower+Handstand+Stretch on Monday/Thursday.  Tuesday/Friday is morning: Upper and evening: Handstand.  But then again I appear to recover slower than I'd like :( and may have to switch to a M/W/F.  And there is other stuff going on in my training that would turn this into a much longer post.   Twice a day most days, brief training session, focus on mobility/flexibility as this is my biggest weakness. 

The primary rule I'm going by is do everything once a week.  Then worry about doing it a second time.  This keeps me balanced in my training without just doing my favorites. 

Coach Sommer
5 hours ago, Kevin Herring said:

The primary rule I'm going by is do everything once a week.  Then worry about doing it a second time.  This keeps me balanced in my training without just doing my favorites. 

Nicely stated, Kevin.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kevin Kuang

Hi, I'd like to add a question. Are the exercises under Foundation 1 Lessons to be viewed for reference, or is there a schedule to doing them? Also some of these exercises are not found in the workout section. I'm just wondering how to use the lessons section. 

Also, how do I know if I need foundation 2, 3, and 4? Is it needed for hand stand?

Thank you.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kevin, the Lesson Session it is reserved for who has previous experience with GB, beginner on foundations one MUST follow the available workout session with the follow along video. 

You need F2,3,4 if you are interested on completing the basic strength element like straddle planche, front lever etc, I would say handstand it is needed for cpmpleting foundations 3 and 4 in the part of the hollowback press.