This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow feels like it wants to "pop" when locked

Started by Josh Earl, November 5, 2016 · 2 Replies · 84 Views

Josh Earl

My struggles with scap shrugs have led me to realize that I haven't been fully locking my elbows on *any* of the movements, even though I thought I was. :( 

I'm practicing locking out in front support and during pushups right now, and one thing I've noticed is that I get some minor discomfort in my right elbow when I fully extend and lock my elbows.

The best way to describe it is that feeling you get in your joints right before they pop. It's definitely uncomfortable, sometimes a bit painful, but it always goes away immediately when I relax the joint.

I have never had any elbow injuries, not even a sprain.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Is it likely to work itself out as my body adapts?

 

Mark Collins

It takes a while to develop straight arm strength. Bone adaptations can take up to 2 years to the load we place on them so be patient.

John Cunningham

I have been getting elbow pain in my right elbow since I started F1 about 3 years ago, I laboured under the impression that it was tendinitis as it was similar to when l had tendinitis in my left elbow.

However I noticed only recently that when I was doing shrugs and push-ups my elbow joint were at slightly different angles, the right one was more open. So I have made a conscious effort to close the angle so that it is more similar to my left elbow. This has made a big difference and I am finally making pain free progress. 

So playing with the angles might help.