This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Single Leg Squats

Started by Florian Nagel, November 3, 2016 · 7 Replies · 248 Views

Florian Nagel

Hey.

I am at level one of any progression within the foundation course. And they're all challenging for me. Except the Single Leg Squat progressions. I can do already the Single Leg Squat itself, with both legs. This is a little bit confusing for me, because all other elements are so hard for me. My question is: Should i work nonetheless through all the progressions until the Single Leg Squats or should i only practice the Single Leg Squats itself and some specific mobility exercises?

Thank you. And keep up.

Alessandro Mainente

Yes you have to, the beginning elements are necessary for full hip mobility, no matter if you can already perform the singel leg squat.

Florian Nagel

Thank you. I will do that.

Nicholas Kuhl

I'm in a similar situation, I can do everything in the SLS progression short of the 100% BW lunges (and I could probably do these, but I've never tried), at mastery levels.  My plan is to keep my lower body training as is - barbell squats and step ups, but pair it the GST mobility exercises, working through the mobility progression from step 1, more or less, because I know my mobility is mediocre outside of the ranges required for squatting.

Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

Tanya Hill

Hi Nicholas, 

Yes, working through the progressions from step 1 is key. My recommendation would be to work on your GST followed by your barbell squats to have increased range of motion before you add in strength. 

Nicholas Kuhl

Great, thanks Tanya!

Christopher Denzer

Hi everyone:

In the SLS, should my weight be back on my heel in the positive (from the floor) part of the movement? I notice myself wanting to come up on the ball of my foot.

Christopher Denzer

Also, has anyone written down all the mobility exercises in the SLS progression from F1 to F3? I want to keep them all in my warmup, but don't want to have to go back through the Course Library if someone has already put in the time. Thanks!