I have seen huge advancements in hamstring and shoulder mobility by adding Jefferson Curls and weighted shoulder dislocates into my weekly training, so does anyone know of any additional weighted quad and hip flexor stretches I could add to help with these issues? I have been following the stretch series for a solid 6 months now and have really noticed a difference. Quads and hip flexors just seem like the are getting the least amount of extra attention. Any advice or tips that anyone found that work would be great.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Help with Tight Quads
Started by Jeremy Aldridge, November 3, 2016 · 18 Replies · 270 Views
You can consider to add a daily light stretch of FSSSE21. remember that the cue it is the hips flexor so keep the forward leg bent.
I feel curious about this too. I googled it and saw something about using stretch blocks to help trick the Golgi reflex, but didn't see anything about weighted mobility for the quads.
I am thinking that SLS/PE8's iM would be a good quad stretch where the quad is under the tension. Kind of similar like JC for the hamstring. I too have my hip-flexors so tight, it's unreal. I do the daily limbers, but from my all life's sports (skiing, tennis, running), they are just thick and tight. I am trying to figure out any little trick and stretch and deep tissue massage that can help them to relax.
16 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:I am thinking that SLS/PE8's iM would be a good quad stretch where the quad is under the tension. Kind of similar like JC for the hamstring. I too have my hip-flexors so tight, it's unreal. I do the daily limbers, but from my all life's sports (skiing, tennis, running), they are just thick and tight. I am trying to figure out any little trick and stretch and deep tissue massage that can help them to relax.
Which one is PE8 Suzanna? I do not have foundations 2 yet. If I can remember before it changed is it where you are leaning back trying to keep body straight and lay back down to the floor while kneeling on the mat?
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:You can consider to add a daily light stretch of FSSSE21. remember that the cue it is the hips flexor so keep the forward leg bent.
How long do you recommend Alessandro? This one is tough for me to even get my back straight with my shin vertical on the wall. I will add this in daily. Thanks!
1 minute ago, Jeremy Aldridge said:Which one is PE8 Suzanna? I do not have foundations 2 yet. If I can remember before it changed is it where you are leaning back trying to keep body straight and lay back down to the floor while kneeling on the mat?
Yes yes, that is the one. You lean as far back as you can without losing your PPT. So you are stretching the quads while they are under the tension…
Thanks Suzanna,
I will start this today. I will use it as a good warm up before doing my daily vertical shin. How's that sound?
For beginner I suggest the weighted mobility of the hips flexor only when F2 for Manna it is already completed and you can perform 20+ HLL while smiling to the other people in the gym, not before.
Ok @Alessandro Mainente point taken regarding weighted mobility
. I'll go ahead and share what i read about "tricking" the reflex. Hope that's ok. I haven't actually tried it but it looked interesting. You need three stretch blocks. You start in down dog pose and lunge one foot forward (so you're basically in a lunge). Then you take one of the stretch blocks and place it above the knee of the back leg but towards the bottom of the thigh and you lean your weight down in to it keeping your hips square and using the other two blocks to keep your upper body upright. I guess the pressure of the block on the back leg makes the muscle feel "safe" to stretch, and this is supposed to help you get a slightly deeper stretch on your quads than you normally would. I may try it at the very end of the front split series this Wednesday when i do it.
The thing you are meaning it is a general prevention rule. basically in some stretches muscles are a position where they tend to resist actively to the weight and they are also under stretch position. in this situation the suspended position are perceived as more critical than safe and muscles tend to remain squeezed and i can give you tons of example about bad stretches. aside that using the yoga blocks it is effective BUT in the lunge position you simply support the weight on the 2 other hands and/or on the limb that it is not under work (it makes a huge difference). one point i do not mentioned it is that in order to maximize the gain on flexibility the muscle must be stronger as much as possible, if not it stretch will leads to slower gain and unfunctional range of motion.
basic concept that reflects why there is no functional ROM if stretching it is approached without GST specific preparation.
Yes but it just looks cool to be able to do a split
Just kidding. As always Alessandro I learn so much from you. Thanks for the detailed explanation!
My PT gave me a stretch for my hip flexors that I've been doing daily and I'm seeing huge gains. I plan to post about the experience/gains soon, but I'll give the exercise here in case it helps.
Lay on your back with a roller under your lower back and drawn one knee up to your chest (this keeps you honest with your hip position!).
Slide the leg that's on the floor out as far/straight as you can on the floor without letting your knee fall outward.
When I first started, my working leg had to stay bent and it took a lot of effort to keep my knee in alignment. Now, I can straighten my leg with a bit of effort.
It's a gentle but effective stretch that is perfect for daily limbering.
Thanks for the exercise Julia, I am going to give it a try. How long and often are you performing this exercise?
I've been doing it daily (or nearly daily) for a week now. I warm up with a little bit of hip flexor work (sitting on the ground and lifting alternating legs in a pike and move wider each rep until I'm in a straddle and then work my way back to a pike again).
Then I go into the stretched and do it by feel, really. I slide my working leg in and out of extension trying to get deeper each time and then hold at max stretch for about 30s. Then I repeat with the other leg. Then I hold each leg's max stretch for about 30s again.
So your shoulder blades are on the ground and a foam roller is under the low back correct?
I do this stretch daily too. You REALLY feel how the hip-flexor is stretching… @Jeremy Aldridge, you will feel if you put the roller too high up (toward your lower back) or too low (toward your booty) because you will lose that intense stretch. There is a sweet spot, you cannot miss it…
Thanks, I really appreciate it @Suzanna McGee and @Julia Quigley.