This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE6 (Negative HLL) - How to train the end range?

Started by Luzian Scherrer, November 3, 2016 · 14 Replies · 217 Views

Luzian Scherrer

As far as I understand the mastery requirement for MN/PE6 (Negative HLL) is to be able to touch the bar with the toes before each repetition. I cannot currently do that, my toes are about 5 inches away from the top  bar.

How would you recommend to train towards this end range? Staying in the first 3x1/5x1/3x2 cycle until I get it? Or rather move on to cycle 2 and 3 to build up more endurance? Or even scale it down somehow?

Marcus Patterson

Im in the same position right now so be good to know.

Kai Ewert

I found a friend to help push my legs the last bit of the way in the beginning. Progress was surprisingly quick (I assume the body learning new activation patterns, rather than having to actually build muscle) so I didn't need to bother them with this for too long. Make sure to work your pike flexibility also.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Luzian you should rest in the 3x1 range until technique it is good.

Suzanna McGee

I feel the same… when I did the PE6 for the first time, I was surprised how heavy my booty was. I could not lift that thing to get my feet up to the bar for nothing. It's a third week now of me struggling with it, and getting closer to the bar each week. @Kai Ewert's  suggestion sounds like a gem. I need to dare to bother some people in the gym to lift my booty up a bit, and then hoping that my body will quickly figure out how to do it on its own. 

Kai Ewert

@Suzanna McGee It's ok if they just lift your feet up - that way you can also ask people you don't know that well ;)

Come to think of some gyms, maybe it's the other way round...

Suzanna McGee

Ha ha, true… I think in my gym, the booty push would create more volunteers :) I will see what strategy I use :) tomorrow is my F7 day!

Jon Douglas

Lots and lots of singles with a hold at the top position :)

Luzian Scherrer

Thanks for all your input! This morning I've tried it 5x1 since I'm in week two of my cycle and surprisingly I was able to touch the top bar with my toes all five times :) I also intuitively added a little hold at the top position. 

Just right before the negative HLLs I was doing a good pike stretch to ingrain the body position. I think that has really helped.

But 5x5 will be a tough target...

Mikkel Ravn

Very tough indeed. I have been cycling back and forth through PE6 / 7 / 8 for a few years now, and have never managed to master PE8.

Hope It will get better now that I'm seeing progress in the MSS and FSS courses.

Maksis Riley

It may be enough to just stick with what you're doing but you could also try tucking up as high as possible then doing single leg extensions aiming to touch the bar. May be a way to get some more volume in?

 

Max

Douglas Wadle

I trained with a 5 lb weight on my ankles for a couple weeks, then when I took it off....wham - good ROM and felt much more under control at the end range.  i think this would only be helpful if your work capacity on this element is high.  certainly not if you can barely do 3x1.  I was doing 5x5 of nearly full ROM before I added the weight.  Also, the iM where you do a pike and then do leg lifts from end ROM is quite helpful as well, forget which number that one is.

Kai Ewert

The iMs for SE1 and SE2 are what Douglas mentioned. Slightly different variations of each other.

John Kiggundu
2 hours ago, Douglas Wadle said:

I trained with a 5 lb weight on my ankles for a couple weeks, then when I took it off....wham - good ROM and felt much more under control at the end range.  i think this would only be helpful if your work capacity on this element is high.  certainly not if you can barely do 3x1.  I was doing 5x5 of nearly full ROM before I added the weight.  Also, the iM where you do a pike and then do leg lifts from end ROM is quite helpful as well, forget which number that one is.

Was this on hanging leg raises, or negative HLLs, or both?

Douglas Wadle

full HLL's,  didn't need to do on the negatives.