This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SE17 (Elevated Thoracic Bridge) Form Check

Started by Petri Widsten, November 2, 2016 · 24 Replies · 418 Views

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro Mainente

This is my current ability with this exercise with the two heights my setup allows. Which one is better for me to use and how's the form?

20161102_121109_42033[1].jpg

20161102_121848_34027[1].jpg

Everett Carroll

Hey Petri,

Stick with the taller box for now and keep working to bring your chest further forward. Once your form is a bit more refined at that height, you can begin to lower your feet.

Petri Widsten

Hi Everett

Thanks for the advise. By more refined do you mean straight legs and shoulders over hands? Can I start doing bridge pushups or should I wait till I achieve that form?

Alessandro Mainente

HI petri, taller box for sure, the goal it is extend the legs in a straddle position then move them together, then move the hands a bit closer to the box.

Petri Widsten
4 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI petri, taller box for sure, the goal it is extend the legs in a straddle position then move them together, then move the hands a bit closer to the box.

Ok Alessandro. What about the push-ups?

My first goal has been to get the legs straight, then move the hands closer. Is that wrong?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes:

-straddle 

-straddle straight

-together bent

-together straight

For the push up perform them with appropriate legs position and box height so that you can reach a full elevate and stretched out bridge.

Petri Widsten

@Everett Carroll  @Alessandro Mainentewould it be ok to move my legs together at this height?

20161207_120508_39873.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

NO, the legs must be straight first. then moved together, also I believe that with the actual distance also with legs together and straight you have no chance to move the shoulders over the wrists, so probably you need to move the hands a little bit closer to the box.

Everett Carroll

Couldn't agree with Alex more. 

Petri Widsten
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:02 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

NO, the legs must be straight first. then moved together, also I believe that with the actual distance also with legs together and straight you have no chance to move the shoulders over the wrists, so probably you need to move the hands a little bit closer to the box.

I'd like advice on whether I'm working at a box height suitable for my current level and whether I should bring my hands closer or farther from the box at this height.

59b882e546666_20170913_120611_370991.thumb.jpg.fcc259fe86d765c9767bad646992d0fc.jpg59b8837b6eccc_20170913_120910_282771.thumb.jpg.835eba9dfd62dd8160a9e80aa3b3988a.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

I really like it! nice work.

Petri Widsten
24 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I really like it! nice work.

Thanks Alessandro. So I'll stay at this height for now and maybe after a few months try to go a bit lower.

Alessandro Mainente

For now, you need to extend the knees FIRST then reduce the feet distance.

Petri Widsten
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

For now, you need to extend the knees FIRST then reduce the feet distance.

I know - that's what I'll spend the next few months doing. Or however long it takes: could be 1-2 sessions or a year. It's hard to predict the rate of progress.

Petri Widsten
On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:04 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

For now, you need to extend the knees FIRST then reduce the feet distance.

I managed to do both (maybe a little more knee extension?) but do I need to be able to push my chest further forward in this position? I feel a good pressure in my shoulders and upper back.

59c1badbefee7_20170920_120330_332891.thumb.jpg.96789d7895dda74db10ad8bdf464ebba.jpg59c1bb1c18b1f_20170920_114656_310271.thumb.jpg.5326458134892923672d86922dc863b1.jpg

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Petri Widsten,

Yes you need a bit more knee extension and push yourself further to open up your upper back, chest and shoulders.

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro Mainente @Leo Trinidad

Have I done enough? In any case, I'll be spending the next few weeks consolidating this level until it feels easier. After that, can I move my legs down a bit?

59caf0c859300_20170927_124816_687401.thumb.jpg.d22e3ee01e141778b915c2c41ddbe00c.jpg59caf1007e167_20170927_124450_323211.thumb.jpg.b021b8bdbfe162a0e3e7cd4e462807e8.jpg

Pauline Taube

Very nice improvement, Petri.

I'd say you can give it a try moving a little lower with your legs. Always strive to press the chest out to lean further into the Stretch. You may also move slightly closer to the box with your hands :) 

keep up the great work!

Petri Widsten

OK Pauline, a few weeks and then I'll try that. Many thanks.

Pauline Taube

Sounds great! Please keep us posted :) 

Jennifer Marie

Great progress. I love seeing all the shots in one thread to see how things change.

Petri Widsten

20171108_122154_36893.thumb.jpg.ddc727be1ddb843b8cffb701e9536acd.jpg20171115_122859_45406.thumb.jpg.49e16ac6f757fc60f38fd59ba2ec50cf.jpg

@Alessandro Mainente @Leo Trinidad@Pauline Taube

An update with the next two levels. I started on the 2nd one today. I'll stay at that height until I can push my chest a bit more forward. It seems that progress toward the floor is fast after you have locked in the correct form at one height.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Niiiiiice work! it is time to move on.

Pauline Taube

Awesome progress, Petri! Your dedication and consistency is definitely paying off :)

If you aren't already, remember to squeeze your glutes in order to protect your lumbar. 

Keep the posts coming :D 

Petri Widsten

Thanks coaches. I feel the stretch only in my shoulders and upper back, not in the lumbar.