This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What weights to use for mobility exercises?

Started by George Traganidas 235308, November 1, 2016 · 8 Replies · 301 Views

George Traganidas 235308

One of the things that is still a mystery to me is what to use for a weight on the mobility part of the exercise. I have started the Foundation course about 3 weeks ago, so I am still a beginner with terrible flexibility and mobility.

For the mobility part of the exercises sometimes it calls for a weight to be used and at the moment I am using a 2kg weight and it offers no challenge (weight wise). I know that I should be focusing more on the range of motion than they weight, but when am I supposed to increase the weight? Or the idea of the mobility exercises is to use a very low weight and only work on range of motion?

I would appreciate some clarity here. I know that I might be a bit impatient :)

Thanks,

George

Alessandro Mainente

HI George, For better long therms goal I suggest the 10% of the BW but for mastery 3-4 kg it is fine if they are enough to promote the mastery of the range of motion,

Jon Douglas

Hi George,

Which elements in particular? In the same workout I do Jefferson curls  and Xiaopengs, both mobility exercises with rather different loads :)

George Traganidas 235308

@Alessandro Mainente thank you very much for the reply. It makes sense.

@Jon Douglas The exercises I do at the moment is the SL/PE1 and the MN/PE1. But I am more interested in the general principle. How do you think about what weight to use when you do a mobility exercise for the first time? When do you decide that the range of motion is good enough and you should increase the weight, or wait for perfection with low weight and only then increase?

Alessandro Mainente

We can have 2 situations:

-PE it is already mastered but IM does not have the necessary rom. then post a video

-PE it is not yet mastered but IM yes, feel free to improve the rom more then course video.

Jon Douglas
8 hours ago, George Traganidas 235308 said:

@Alessandro Mainente thank you very much for the reply. It makes sense.

@Jon Douglas The exercises I do at the moment is the SL/PE1 and the MN/PE1. But I am more interested in the general principle. How do you think about what weight to use when you do a mobility exercise for the first time? When do you decide that the range of motion is good enough and you should increase the weight, or wait for perfection with low weight and only then increase?

Form first, weight afterwards. If it changes the mechanics excessively it is changing the element, ie not working the mobility aspects intended.

I think i started SLPE1/im with 2kg, and worked up to a 20 or 25kg plate for 50r. A couple of times i caught my rom shortening as it got heavier, and it takes being quite conscientious about it to avoid that :)

George Traganidas 235308

Thanks guys.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 11/3/2016 at 5:10 AM, Jon Douglas said:

Form first, weight afterwards. If it changes the mechanics excessively it is changing the element, ie not working the mobility aspects intended.

I think i started SLPE1/im with 2kg, and worked up to a 20 or 25kg plate for 50r. A couple of times i caught my rom shortening as it got heavier, and it takes being quite conscientious about it to avoid that :)

Russian twists with a 25kg plate for 50reps?! Bruh....those are some obliques.

Jon Douglas
2 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Russian twists with a 25kg plate for 50reps?! Bruh....those are some obliques.

I built em with lots of heavy kb windmills years ago, pre coming to gb. Then i discovered side lever pulls and had to rethink what i was doing with my life :S