Please give some feedback on this, I'm afraid I already know the answer. First seconds I try to keep the neck in line with the spine, last seconds I focus on getting the hands as high as possible with a vertical back. I get more height the last method but the neck gets tilted forward a lot. Is this ok? I guess the answer is no. ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Shoulder extension form check
Started by Tomas Johansson, November 1, 2016 · 14 Replies · 525 Views
Hi Tomas, welcome to Handstand 1, well the basic approach of the IM of handstand is it as follows:
-range of motion first: this means that if you do not reach the 90° of extension (elbow to shoulder level) you are doing wrongly the integrated mobility
-hands width: the hands must be adjusted so that you can reach the 90° extension;
-weight: begin with 1 kg or less. adjust the hands stance so that you can raise up to 90°. from here reduce the width until shoulders width. then increase the weight and begin with the necessary stance in order to maintain the range of motion rrequisite
Did not realize that that is the way to go, thanks. But the question, must the neck stay in line with the rest of the spine?
I prefer yes.
On 11/1/2016 at 3:23 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:Hi Tomas, welcome to Handstand 1, well the basic approach of the IM of handstand is it as follows:
-range of motion first: this means that if you do not reach the 90° of extension (elbow to shoulder level) you are doing wrongly the integrated mobility
-hands width: the hands must be adjusted so that you can reach the 90° extension;
-weight: begin with 1 kg or less. adjust the hands stance so that you can raise up to 90°. from here reduce the width until shoulders width. then increase the weight and begin with the necessary stance in order to maintain the range of motion rrequisite
So, shoulder height then shoulder width and only THEN add weight? I've been doing it wrong then. I got to shoulder height, but not yet shoulder width. So, work on bringing the arms in essentially, even if that means you're only using the bar? And then add the weight from that point onwards?
Ping. @Alessandro Mainente
Yes, range of motion and I means the 90° extension comes first, grip must be adjusted in function of it and not vice versa. once 10 seconds are showed with a certain grip you are welcome to reduce the grip at the point where you can reach the 90° of extension, if you cannot then the grip it is not narrow.
58 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:Yes, range of motion and I means the 90° extension comes first, grip must be adjusted in function of it and not vice versa. once 10 seconds are showed with a certain grip you are welcome to reduce the grip at the point where you can reach the 90° of extension, if you cannot then the grip it is not narrow.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understood you entirely. I want to be clear that the arms need not only to be at shoulder height but shoulder width and only THEN should we add weight. So if my arms are shoulder height but not shoulder width (which happens to be the case with things like dislocates), I shouldn't yet be adding weight, correct? Should I only have the weight of the bar? (Which would be similar to the approach of how to progress on xiaopengs and stiff-legged windmill) So, I should work on getting my hands shoulder-width apart and then slowly work up to having 5lbs. of load on the bar--while keeping my arms at shoulder height the entire time?
yes. to be clear the process it the following:
-first session ever with IM2 : find a grip where you can lift up to 90°
-reach 10'' with the grip of point 1
-reduce the grip at the point where 90° are still possible
-move on this way until you reach the shoulder width
-add weigth and find a grip where you can lift up to 90°
-iterate the process from point 2.
Ahhh. Well, looks like I'm dropping down to using just a dowel, because my shoulder extension is terrible. Thanks for this clarification.
On 11/17/2016 at 6:18 AM, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:Ahhh. Well, looks like I'm dropping down to using just a dowel, because my shoulder extension is terrible. Thanks for this clarification.
Yeah FYI I remember hearing the same thing from Coach Sommer on some interview. Get to shoulder width first, move hands out and add weight....get to shoulder width, move hands back out, add more weight.
@Alessandro Mainente do any of the PEs or iMs after this iM2 have any value to do while we are working on shoulder extension? I think for some of us it's going to be a very, very long time before getting to 5lbs, 90 degree with hands at shoulder width.
The following elements are based on the proficiency of the previous, so focus on what you need.
the time required it is proportional to the time you stayed without using your range of motion, do you want to know how much time i spent on my bridge? I began in 2011 after first seminar and i'm still refining it.
Allessandro thanks for clarifying the progression on this. Can I ask, what is the weight required to "pass" this mobility exercise? Right now I'm using a PVC pipe with a 2kg of weights taped on.
4-5 lbs are fine with shoulder width grip.
as a long term goal, the 10% of your BW.
Good to know. Thanks Alessandro!