I have been doing the stiff leg windmill for about 6 months now. There's definite improvements in the lower body mobility but I'm still not happy with the shoulder bit. I know my pec minors are tight, particularly in the right shoulder, which is limiting my ability to really reach up with the dumbell arm. As for the rotation of the shoulder, this is something that I am not completely sure about and my shoulders are definitely not comfortable with. There seems to be a difference when comparing the technique video with the follow along video. In the follow along video it seems they are clearly internally rotating the humerus but not in the technique video, where only the hand is pronated and the humerus appears static. What's odd with my shoulder is that if I abduct to 90 degrees it from arms by my side then internal rotation of the humerus is smooth. If I move it from arms above head into 90 degrees abduction, like in the stiff leg windmill, then internally rotate the humerus it is a whole world of nasty. Grinding and popping. Can't really get my head around it. I do know that my humeral heads are sloppy and they are not currently balanced. I am doing 3 rounds of 5 wall extentions 3 times a week consistently now to try and help develop the rotator cuff and open the pec minors. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also would be good to clear up the difference between the two videos .
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Stiff Leg Windmill - Shoulder Rotation
Started by Antony Stanley-Clarke, October 31, 2016 · 9 Replies · 408 Views
HI Antony, actually in case of very tight pec minor the shoulders extension are more dangerous than useful since the shoulder itself will never work properly if restriction are involved. what foundations do you have? do you have the thoracic stretch course?
Ah OK. That's really good to know. The shoulder extensions are something I picked up from Building the Gymnastic Body many years ago. Thought it would be something useful to incorporate into my workouts.
Currently I am healing a broken wrist and am still perhaps 2 months away from being able go into a press position with body weight. I am also yet to purchase thoracic bridge and am essentially waiting until I can press again. Are there other things in that course that don't require pressing that would benefit my case? If so I would be interested in purchasing it sooner. So far I just have F1 and have been doing it for about 6 months.
On 10/31/2016 at 10:08 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:HI Antony, actually in case of very tight pec minor the shoulders extension are more dangerous than useful since the shoulder itself will never work properly if restriction are involved. what foundations do you have? do you have the thoracic stretch course?
Hi Alessandro, did you mean shoulder extensions or wall extensions? Just re-read what i wrote and now not sure which you are referring to.
I mean the wall extension If we are referring to the same exercise.
Since you have the TB series you need to evaluate a modification of the shoulder extension stretch:
-begin sit on the floor
-the put the hands behind you , i prefer to start with large grip
-then externally rotate the elbows so that the fingers begin to facing inward
-you will notice that (with a large grip) the shoulders begin the dislocate
-as the discloate begin you will fill a great stretch on the pec minor.
On 11/2/2016 at 10:57 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:I mean the wall extension If we are referring to the same exercise.
Since you have the TB series you need to evaluate a modification of the shoulder extension stretch:
-begin sit on the floor
-the put the hands behind you , i prefer to start with large grip
-then externally rotate the elbows so that the fingers begin to facing inward
-you will notice that (with a large grip) the shoulders begin the dislocate
-as the discloate begin you will fill a great stretch on the pec minor.
Actually Alessandro, you misread my earlier post. I don't have the TB series. I was wondering whether it is worth buying the TB series given that i can't achieve a press position at body weight? This will probably be the case for another 2 months until my wrist has healed more.
Also, what i meant by wall extension is this -
As opposed to shoulder extension -

So just to get really clear on this. You mentioned that shoulder extensions (as i have shown above) are perhaps not a good thing to do and so modify it as you described. So the question is still whether wall extensions (as above) are ok or not?
Cheers
We are saying the same thing, basically shoulder extension as described above by me (variation applied to the photo) it is specific for your pec minor. The exercise in the thoracic bridge helps a lot into the release of the pec minor and the introductory movements does not require you to push into a bridge.
The wall extension as stated before (wrongly referring to shoulder extension.....i forgot the word shoulders WALL extension) it is something you should avoid for a bit for the reason I mentioned, not a case Coach did not included them as basic exercise. i had some noises with them back in the day. now that my range of motion it is restore i can get all the benefit from them in order to achieve balanced shoulders.
Thank you for the scaled stretch / exercise. Like most I am finding it challenging to get into positions. The Thoracic stretch series is the worst for me - I cannot push into a bridge yet. I had spinal fusion L5 Nov 2015 and am completely rebuilding my body.
I'm not sure how best to modify the bridge exercises. I am eager for a stretch and challenge but just can't press up from the floor no matter how high I place my legs, and I don't have the mobility or strength (at the moment) to press up with feet in a low position.
To modify the bridge I stood up, and arched backward placing my hands on a barbell in a power cage, turned my armpits to the ceiling, retracted my scapula, pressed into the floor and bar, and cried :-p I am not sure I like that modification as I dump (feel slight compression) into my lumbar spine and am not sure I'm getting the intended benefits of the exercise.
Do you have any scaled suggestions?
Hi Katherine hvae you previously checked a physio in order to see if you can safety perform a bridge with your limitation? this is so much important before giving suggestion.
On 11/4/2016 at 0:33 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:We are saying the same thing, basically shoulder extension as described above by me (variation applied to the photo) it is specific for your pec minor. The exercise in the thoracic bridge helps a lot into the release of the pec minor and the introductory movements does not require you to push into a bridge.
The wall extension as stated before (wrongly referring to shoulder extension.....i forgot the word shoulders WALL extension) it is something you should avoid for a bit for the reason I mentioned, not a case Coach did not included them as basic exercise. i had some noises with them back in the day. now that my range of motion it is restore i can get all the benefit from them in order to achieve balanced shoulders.
Hi Alessandro. Thanks very much for the suggestion. I have just bought all stretch series last week. It was definitely time! Thanks for all your help. Antony