This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SE14 Narrow Hurdler Block

Started by Suzanna McGee, October 31, 2016 · 3 Replies · 121 Views

Suzanna McGee

When I do this stretch, the bent leg is tilting me to the side away from the center, so I have to use my arm to push to the ground not to tilt over. It's like there is not enough space in my left hip to be comfortably balanced on my both hips… You can see how I struggle to center myself during the first 40 seconds… so I tried to put a block on my right hip (the straight leg's hip) and it makes me balanced. Is this something I should do, or should I "fight" it that internal rotation and hope that it will loosen up over time? I don't have any pain in that left hip nor knee. It just doesn't go any further anywhere. 

I did a video so you can see the difference without the block first, then with the block, and then from the side to see that I can bend down pretty ok, then I took the block away from the side…  it's the left leg that is messing up the quality of the stretch if I don't have a block.

What should I do? Thank you for your input… 

 

Alessandro Mainente

It is fine, sit on a bench and put the yoga block on the bench. tight adductor are basically the problem.

Mikkel Ravn

I have the same issue, but now that I'm loose enough to put the elbow (on same side as straight leg) on the ground, it doesn't really seem to matter. I'm getting a good stretch regardless of whether I do it with or without a stabilizing block against the hip, so according to my logic, I might as well do it without, although it feels a little more awkward.

Suzanna McGee

@Alessandro Mainente great, I will try the option on the bench. Thank you!. Meanwhile, working on my Middle Splits and hoping to get the adductors to release eventually. Yes, they are really tight. @Mikkel Ravn, yes, I can too kind of lean on the elbow on the floor and do it and feel a bit awkward, but I was thinking if there is a better way to do it… I will try Alessandro's suggestion next time. Gotta stretch those adductors even more. Thank you for sharing your experience.