At the bottom of lesson 8 you say that legumes are least favourable. I guess you mean for starches but still have to ask because I most often use soy instead of minced meat because it is 5x+ times cheaper. And I add some beans. But this is for the proteins so maybe the question is irrelevant for lesson 8. But I'm curious if I should prepare to change the legumes to something else if it affects the starch intake?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Legumes
Started by Nino Begovic, October 28, 2016 · 8 Replies · 150 Views
Beans have far more carbs to offer per serving than protein, so they should be considered a carb not a protein source (though they do provide some protein).
Same reason nuts are considered a fat source, even though they also provide some protein.
To get at the root of your question, though, beans aren't going to be a regular part of a Thrive diet. And hey, if you're worried about cost, you can't get much cheaper than white rice and potatoes for carbs ![]()
Look at the amino acid profile of soybeans and you will find it is abysmal in the proteins humans require (methionine and lysine). Further, its prodomintaly a fat. Yes by calories there is more fat. To boot you probably aren't eating fresh soybeans which aren't that offensive you are probably eating some super processed version that is no longer even soy.
Okay, rant over. sorry.
The product label says "cold pressed organic soy bean". It also says, per 100g = Fat 8,5g, carbs 32g, fiber 16g, proteins 47g. Sounds pretty legit, but maybe thats not all there is to it. It seems that usually it is what is NOT written that is interesting. Looking at the amino acid profile of various soy products, lysine content seems ok but met + cys are merged on the list of this source and they seem to be low.
@Julia Quigley
I have been using them as a source of protein, not starch. Brought it up because "legumes" were mentioned in the lesson as less beneficial. But on second thought, I think Jeff meant less beneficial "as a source of starch".
Sure, but if you go back to lesson 4 on protein 101, legumes aren't listed as an optimum source for protein either.
If legumes aren't a vegetable or fat source, and aren't optimum carbs or protein source, then there really isn't much room for them in Thrive.
See what I meant?
Cold pressed soy oil?
@Jeff ServenNo no, it is a substitute for minced meat made from cold pressed organic soy beans. I dont know how that is made but the label says so.
I just looked into it and found that it is made through a process called TVP (texturized vegetable protein). No chemicals are used but it is processed nonetheless.
Is this thrive friendly or not?
I don't know about lessons that I haven't unlocked yet but from this lesson I understand that I should work on removing all sorts of beans for dinner. I interpret that as specific for dinner and not in general, for example lunch. Correct?
Nino, are you reading both the tasks the lessons?
The tasks are very specific, so yes, task 8 is about dinner. But the lessons are about general information that inform your tasks.
For instance, in lesson 4, Jeff goes into significant detail about Thrive protein sources (poultry, seafood, beef, and eggs). Those are the Thrive approved protein sources. Soy is not discussed because it's not an optimum protein source. As you accumulate tasks about protein, make sure your protein choices line up with what you read in lesson 4.
Similarly, lesson 3 talks about fruits, vegetables, and carb/starch sources. So when you get a task about starches or vegetables, you should refer back to the information in lesson three.
Getting to your specific question about beans and soy--neither are included as optimal sources of anything. I believe there a couple posts on the forum asking about exceptions (maybe lentils? I honestly can't remember), and Jeff gave specific answers at that time. But I don't think Jeff is going to say either soy or legumes belong regularly in a Thrive diet, or else they'd be in the lessons.