So before I get to the point I think I should say something about my background. I am one of those "hungry all the time" guys. I've struggled a lot bringing my amount of meals per day from ~8 to 3-4. I've been working on it for a bit over a year now. But I have to eat really much, and not just anything - the heavier the better because for example; only eggs as protein makes me hungry again in a really short time. Also, I am not overweight, but started educating myself on nutrition because I've never before put an effort into it, which has shown itself in my very slow recovery rate, and probably other things like states of mind etc.
Well, to get to the point.
I finish eating breakfast at 7am. Next meal, lunch, starts at 1pm. =6hrs. By this time I can eat a horse!
I measured my typical breakfast for this thread:
Sausage 75-100g
Egg 50g
above fried in ~15g canola oil
Bread 90g
Ketchup 10g
Full fat yoghurt 35g
Spinach 15g
A 4cl shot with fresh turmeric, lemon and ginger
Soy yoghurt 100g
Soy milk 90g
Banana 110g
Müsli (50% fruits and nuts) 50g
Goji berries 2-3g
Chia seeds 3,5g
Spirulina powder 3g
Frozen blueberries 20g
So that is my breakfast. Sometimes I need to eat a small fruit before lunch and sometimes not. My problem here is how the h*ll do I replace the carbs??? I guess bread, ketchup, banana and müsli would be the carbs. Need some coaching.
Edit: Added ingredient that I missed.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Breakfast "Re-"Construction
Started by Nino Begovic, October 28, 2016 · 11 Replies · 252 Views
I think about replacing breakfast carbs with fat. Full fat yogurt with heavy cream mixed in is a favorite of mine.
You can also increase the volume of the "approved" foods; try 3 or 4 eggs scambled with sausage or 200 grams of yogurt with nuts on top. All your current portions kind pretty small!
Or, you might also wait to drop AM carbs until later in Thrive. Once lunch and dinner are dialed in, breakfast will be a different experience. I think you won't be so hungry in Thrive ![]()
I'm a hungry all the time kind of guy too and would carb up in the morning.
I recall seeing in the forums that 1pm lunch after 7 am breakfast is too long between meals. So a snack or earlier lunch may be required. I would certainly need it.
Agree with Julia on more fats in the morning and increasing the volume. I would have 200g+ of full fat greek yoghurt mixed with the same of cottage cheese, and 300-400ml milk and coconut cream with protein powder (or water with more coconut cream and protein powder) and 3 eggs and be hungry by 1130. I would usually lunch 1130, then have a meal/snack mid afternoon before a later dinner. cream in coffee/tea, cream and milk combos, more protein and more fat and make it big so you do last until lunch.
Yea, go for an 11 luch. see how that does
@Julia QuigleyGreat ideas, thanks! It does work better and better now that lunch and dinner is getting better. The small portions are for variety and taste. It sums up to ~700 grams. Is that little? I tried today for the first time to replace the carbs by adding some sausage and an egg to the first meal. It worked well. But the "müsli" bowl was kinda boring without banana and müsli. Will have to work something out.
@Jared Birbeck Isnt that kind of boring? 200g yoghurt + 200g cottage cheese + 200-400ml milk +protein powder + 3 eggs. I mean you probably care about the content of what you're eating. But can you even enjoy that meal?
@Jeff Serven I can't because of work. I'll just have to replace them carbs with something.
Yeah, once you take out the carbs, that only sounds like a little to me
My breakfasts are routine and boring--and I just accept that. Eating is all about lunch and dinner need for me.
For you, I think it's going to take some creativity on your part to figure out what is satisfying and Thrive compliant. Maybe mix it up and eat non traditional breakfast foods--quality cheese and cured meats is an occasional breakfast indulgence or me ![]()
52 minutes ago, Nino Begovic said:
@Jared Birbeck Isnt that kind of boring? 200g yoghurt + 200g cottage cheese + 200-400ml milk +protein powder + 3 eggs. I mean you probably care about the content of what you're eating. But can you even enjoy that meal?
No not boring
and yes I enjoy it.
a rework of your breakfast taking out 'superfoods'/supplements but as Julia says...you need to find your own path. nobody achieved anything by making excuses.
Sausage 75-100g
2 Eggs add a sprinkling of parmesan, makes the eggs less boring, as does a couple of slices of tomato fried
above fried in ~15g olive oil
then a mix of smoked salmon,cottage cheese 100g, Full fat yoghurt 100g, Spinach 50g maybe with some vinegar or some cut up tomato
Water.
Soy yoghurt 100g, Soy milk 90g, tumeric, lemon and ginger with nuts and seeds 100g - dry roast them in a frying pan. I like some almonds, sunflower seeds and flax but find your own path.
if you're not full perhaps check out the discussion on going Raw Vegan ![]()
I keep the variety going with boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, greek yoghurt and chia (great combination!), avocado and cottage cheese with sicilian lemon on top plus salt and pepper, smoked salmon with either greek yoghurt or cream cheese, roastbeef slices, lots of varieties of cheese such as chevre, tallegio, cheddar (the real stuff, not those burguer slices), provolone, gorgonzola, etc. Then it is just a matter of choosing a few of those options every day. Not boring at all! And I always look forward to breakfast, tasty and filling ![]()
There is also the classic meat and nuts breakfast, which I have never tried. I really can't imagine myself eating a steak in the morning hahaha
@Julia Quigley Interesting how ppl's approach is different, when you said that I realized it is the opposite for me - I prioritize breakfast. )
@Jared Birbeck Sorry no offense meant. Just seemed a little one-sided. You can sleep over and have a breakfast together as a compensation ![]()
Jokes aside. To take away the carbs for breakfast is the hardest part for me so far. I've grown up as a carb monster and with the belief that they are essential for breakfast; and that a good bread goes with anything! Bread <3
But I've taken them carbs out now . So I eat the first part with egg, sausage, cheeses and yoghurts. Tasty, warm, and easy to vary. The second part of breakfast where i've taken out the müsli, banana, berries seems kind of boring and too "liquidy" now. The texture used to even out. I've been looking around the shops for carb-less alternatives but cant find any. Do you have any suggestions?
Anybody used to eating cereals experiencing this too?
Btw I think tomatoes count as carbs.
3 hours ago, Nino Begovic said:@Julia Quigley Interesting how ppl's approach is different, when you said that I realized it is the opposite for me - I prioritize breakfast. )
@Jared Birbeck Sorry no offense meant. Just seemed a little one-sided. You can sleep over and have a breakfast together as a compensation
Jokes aside. To take away the carbs for breakfast is the hardest part for me so far. I've grown up as a carb monster and with the belief that they are essential for breakfast; and that a good bread goes with anything! Bread <3
But I've taken them carbs out now . So I eat the first part with egg, sausage, cheeses and yoghurts. Tasty, warm, and easy to vary. The second part of breakfast where i've taken out the müsli, banana, berries seems kind of boring and too "liquidy" now. The texture used to even out. I've been looking around the shops for carb-less alternatives but cant find any. Do you have any suggestions?
Anybody used to eating cereals experiencing this too?
Btw I think tomatoes count as carbs.
cereals often make their way into my afternoon meals. love them in all their glory. But gotta earn them carbs, and choice of cereal is important. I just moved the cereal love to the afternoon, which made the morning a little more dull and the afternoon a whole lot more exciting.
+1 to a good bread going with anything. but its about timing.
So far Breakfast is the easiest part of Thrive for me. I never cared too much about breakfast and I never enjoyed my breakfast a lot. My rule is the next: the later the meal the more I enjoy. So dinner is the top one, followed by lunch and last breakfast. I am very lazy to cook, so finally I am eating a big full fat yogurt (400 grams) with lemon water from monday to friday, when I have to work and I don t want to loose time. And 4 eggs with some veggies on weekends. Yogurt is the winner for me for 4 reasons: I like the most, it feels very good on my stomach, the easiest to prepare and i strongly believe is very healthy.
I m really happy with the yogurt. I open, I eat it in a few minutes and throw away; and feel satiated for around 4 hours.
I have long been a "hungry all the time" kind of guy. Here are a few things that are working for me.
- I'm not usually very hungry right when I get up. So when I get to the kitchen, I like to start with my coffee and some fat (cream, butter, coconut oil, or a combination depending on how I'm feeling).
- I try to push actual breakfast to later in the morning if I can. Nuts, cheese, yogurt, and cured meats are all things that I can "snack" on for breakfast if I can't actually sit down for eggs and avocados.
- I try not to go more than about 4 hours between major meals. If I've portioned things out right, I find that I'm starting to get real hungry (instead of just bored-hungry or distract-myself-from-work-hungry) about 4 hours after my last real meal.
- I'm trying to be more mindful of, and thus more comfortable with, mild hunger. This is where having water nearby has helped. This can be helpful in two ways. First, learning to live with discomfort will be useful in other areas of GB training. Second, if I don't run to grab a handful of nuts at every twinge of hunger, then I can train my stomach to get used to less food volume/caloric intake.
I don't know if any that is helpful for you, but it's been a set of tactics that's been helpful to me.