This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Swivel Hips

Started by Jeff Donahue, October 28, 2016 · 3 Replies · 94 Views

Jeff Donahue

So I submitted a video of my swivel hips as I have reached step 9 of the sPL/PE1.  I had thought I was doing pretty well but after watching the video can see that I do pick up my opposite hip from the ground.  Can anyone offer advice on how to help me get to mastery on this - should I just keep doing swivel hips on a daily basis?

 

Also, when working on these is it better for me to do them the way I am doing them and eventually the hips will not come off the ground, or should I only do them to the point where my hips do not come off the ground?

 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

This has been written on A LOT. Two tips. In the technique video, @Wesley Tan demonstrates a stretch where you place the outside of the front foot on the outside of the back knee in order to push the inside of the knee towards the ground. Do that. Secondly, break this exercise into two phases: first, focus on using the knees as the pivot point in that they MUST come to touch the ground versus floating in the air (the knees stay on the ground while you try to bring your glutes down to the floor--your glutes WILL lift doing this, it's okay, it helps stretch the glutes/hips and won't put excess strain on your knee in the process). Once you're pretty proficient at that focus on keeping your glutes/hips down while your bring your knees down. 

Makes sense? Also, these respond well to a lot of volume. Throw them in a morning warmup routine after getting out of bed or before bed and/or also before/after other GB workouts you may be doing. If consistent should only take a couple months to be pretty stellar (at least it was in my case, donno if you have extenuating hip/knee issue in  your past). 

Jeff Donahue

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Jeff,

As you practice this exercise be sure to do it with proper form so the gluts should not leave the ground. The only way to learn to do an exercise correctly is to practice it correctly, even if you're not completely able to do it yet. As you practice frequently, your ROM will gradually improve.