This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advice on planned weekly Structure

Started by Mark Allen, October 28, 2016 · 3 Replies · 151 Views

Mark Allen

Hi Everyone, 

I'm looking for some thoughts and advice on structuring my GST week. Hopefully I've got the right message, so please put me right here if I'm wrong. The big messages I've taken from the change to the web site format is that the consistency is king. Over the past 7 months I've managed this quite successfully with the F1 and Handstand progressions, but when I got the stretch series I've struggled to fit this in consistently. My planned week has looked like this, however I was failing on the stretch series more often than not. 

  • 2 x Foundation, I would sometimes combine the Foundation and handstand into 1 session. 
  • 2 x handstand. 
  • 2 stretch sessions a week, I was cycle them round so week 1 would be MS/FS, week 2 TB/MS, week 3 FS/TB, week 4 would be as week 1

So my goal is to make sure I complete each series a minimum of once a week, I currently have Foundation, H1, H2 and the stretch series. I wanted to try and do this in 3 sessions, which would them leave the remaining days free for additional Foundation/handstand sessions and aerobic exercise. I had thought about a number of different structures, the one below being the one I was going to go with

  • Session 1: Core, lower body and TB
  • Session 2: Upper body and FS
  • Session 3: Handstand 1,2 and MS

I'm guessing this type of structure is OK as the new interface allows you to work in this way.

My thinking behind this was that so far the aspects which are limiting me is my mobility on most of the progressions, so improving mobility is probably likely to help speed up my overall progression even if the strength side is a little slower as there will probably be weeks where I don't get any additional foundation and handstand sessions in over those in the 3 sessions above. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Mark 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Mark from my pov the best experience it is to have dedicated days for the stretch series or at least combine them so that they do not affect the following training session. my idea follows:

-session1: upper body + TS

-session2: core, legs, H1, H2 + FS

-session 3: MS

In this was you have 6 days of training but the TS does not affect the session 2 or at least makes it better due to the good shoulder mobility. session 2 does not affect too much the the 3 since the 3 it is more focused on adductors.

Stuart McFarlane

Hi All,

I aim for exactly the same as you listed in your first bullet points Mark.  2x each of the programme per week plus the stretch sessions as well.

However I see that most people follow the design of the programme as it is now.  That is they do all 3 upper body exercises together as a session and so on.

I love the flexibility there is now to split this.  So I now do Hollow back press on monday, straddle planche on tuesday and rope climb on wednesday and then repeat for thur/fri/sat.  So upper body gets done twice a week but not as one big cluster.

I'd assume this doesn't have a major effect on the results - its the same cake just sliced differently but I'd be interested in the thoughts of the coaches...

Stu

Mark Allen

Alessandro, 

This makes total sense,  structure them so that where possible each session has a positive impact or at least not a negative impact on the next session. I don't have the understanding to think about it in that way yet. Session 2 looks like it would be quite a tough/long session. What would you think to moving core and leg to session 3 to even out the time for each session as below? Would that still follow you're thinking?

  • session1: upper body + TS
  • session2: H1, H2 + FS
  • session 3: legs, core, MS

Thanks again, 

Mark