Hello guys,
Wanted to know your thoughts on strength training on top of doing the foundation courses. Is it too much? Is it not advisable because you're still probably building your mobility?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Jessica Feliciano, October 28, 2016 · 5 Replies · 284 Views
Hello guys,
Wanted to know your thoughts on strength training on top of doing the foundation courses. Is it too much? Is it not advisable because you're still probably building your mobility?
By F2 at the latest I don't think you have to worry much about not getting enough strength work in :-). If you're already there or beyond you will probably be working at your current strength limits and probably would not be asking this question. In F1 there is more emphasis on work capacity/endurance but as I understand the recommendation is to follow the progressions and only do extra work as your recovery ability allows. Personally I found this extra strength work useful but I can only speak for myself.
Coach Sommer, in previous posts, has recommended completing supplementary strength training after finishing your foundation workout.
I won't make claims for others. However I, personally, complete some supplementary strength training.
Hi Jessica,
Like Coach has said, any strength training should be a supplement to your GST. While it is not a bad thing to supplement your training with other types of exercise, your main focus should be working through your progressions. If the proper amount of time and emphasis is made on your GST, there will be little need for much else.
The short answer is "depends".
I gave up all other forms of training for a year to focus on the benefits of GST Foundation One in an effort to fix my weaknesses and brokenness. I also had found (before the layoff) that mixing training was competing for my energy/recovery. Just doing too much with work and life thrown in there too.
So, if you're not weak or broken then mixing training is fine. It can be done if you are weak and broken. You'll need to be very aware of what is getting you to where you want to go and what is holding you back.
And to second Jeffery's comments: IF GST is you're priority then follow the GST prescription first and everything else second.
I'm a newcomer to GST, but I'm using it as a my supplementary strength training for my athletic pursuits (climbing). Instead of thinking about what exercises I need to program for my upper body and core work, I let Foundation tell me what to do. For the lower body, I've continued my more typical training because I can hit all of the Foundation mastery benchmarks, but I've paired it with working through the mobility progressions.
So, I'm squatting with a barbell 3 times a week still, but on those three days I'm also doing GST work. I'm also doing a few days of more climbing specific work (I'm in a power focused cycle right now, and also one day a week of hard climbing to maintain strength/skill), as well as some running.
Over the winter, I'll probably do 5 days/week of GST for 4-6 weeks for a totally strength focused block. And then in the spring and summer I'll probably drop back to 2-3 days a week. So I guess, as many people have said already, think about your recovery capacity and your goals, and program accordingly.