This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bulging Disc - pike and straddle question

Started by Lucas Ridley, October 27, 2016 · 10 Replies · 219 Views

Lucas Ridley

I have a L5/S1 bulging disc so I'm wondering, in Foundation 1, are there things I should avoid doing?

For the past 3 months I've been doing plank-type physio for my back, because apparently my core is weak. After 3 months of 2x/day planks, I can now hold an elbow plank for two minutes without much trouble, but I still go to a chiro and acupuncturist for my back as it's super tight and ongoing pain issues.

Chiro says my core needs to get stronger so it helps to hold up my spine as my back is doing all the work now. Acupuncturist says my back muscles are like ropes (tight) and we do some (painful) trigger point acupuncture to release it is the best thing I've found so far for relief.

Regarding specific stretches, this is how little I can go forward on a straddle (pictured) and my pike sitting is similar. It's actually easier to put my hands behind me to hold me up because I almost tip backwards so I can't really lean forward at all.

What should I be focusing on to improve this? I'm guessing my hamstrings are to blame? Should I incorporate one of the Stretch series courses alongside Foundations to address this deficiency?
 

Thanks!
Lucas

 

IMG_1160.JPG

Alessandro Mainente

Hi LUcas, probably the ascent part of the JF and the stiff leg windmill can be dangerous. but I prefer that you should these exercises to your physio so that he can evaluate the exercise. from my pov, whenever there is a problem we should always show to the physio what we did, what we are doing and what we are going to do in the nearly future so that he can have a clear vision of the risks.

Lucas Ridley

Thanks Alessandro! I've been showing my chiro each thing I'm adding, he said to be careful with squats and the downward dog kind of thing so far.

Let me know if you think any of the stretch series would be helpful? I don't know what's involved with the thoracic one but that seemed like it might be helpful?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Well bodyweight movement are a bit different compared to weight so if he said that you can move freely with your bodyweight you should not have problem BUT try to perform all the pancake/variation with the spine as much straight as possible.

Kevin Herring

I've got a bulge at L4/L5 and a protruding one at L5/S1.  Plenty of trigger points, occasional spasm and burning pain down the right leg. The direction of the bulge will dictate the weakness/pain.  (it's early so apologies if I'm not clear).

Front Split has really helped me (tight quads) as much if not more than hamstring.  When you do the wall portion pay attention to pelvic position and keep your core active (tight abs).

I do struggle with loaded seated pancakes.  I wish I could comment more on these but can't get low enough to actually call it a pancake. :unsure:   Flat back pull from the hips.  Again actively pull yourself down but not too hard you can hurt yourself (did that last week).  Mainly from reaching for a lower position with intensity and rounding the back. 

Make sure you are "active" in the bottom position for all.  Your hip flexors are pulling you forward.  This in turn signals your hamstrings to relax.  Same for the quad stretch.  Squeeze your glutes/hamstrings to relax your quads.

Stay mentally engaged, active core, pelvic position aware, enjoy the discomfort.

Lucas Ridley

Fantastic Kevin, thanks for the insights! I might get the front split next then. Cheers!

Mark Collins

With a disc bulge that is painful you are better to sit on a block when doing the pancake stretch. This will enable you to tilt the pelvis forward over the hips, so you get better hip flexion. At the moment you are so tight that the pelvis is posteriorly tilted and the low back is flexed. This position tends to aggravate people with acute disc injuries.

Lucas Ridley
15 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

With a disc bulge that is painful you are better to sit on a block when doing the pancake stretch. This will enable you to tilt the pelvis forward over the hips, so you get better hip flexion. At the moment you are so tight that the pelvis is posteriorly tilted and the low back is flexed. This position tends to aggravate people with acute disc injuries.

 

Thanks Mark sounds like good advice, I'm just confused now on what the words you used mean and what I should actually be doing: pelvic tilt vs hip flexion vs posteriorly tilt etc.
I'm mainly confused about tilting the pelvis over the hips, in my mind the pelvis and hips are the same thing, my anatomy isn't great I guess. Can you clarify what I should be doing? And when you said I'm tight, where does it seem like I'm tight that's making this an issue? Back? Hamstrings? Hips? Or probably all of the above?

Coach Sommer

Hi Lucas,

Good question.  Pelvic positions, as well as pelvic mobility and strengthening, are covered in depth in Handstand One.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Tobias Åkeblom

I had a suspected bulging L5 myself. It was a couple of years ago, started doing Jefferson Curls once or twice a week. Just with a broomstick and 2.5kgs. Since then I have been on a slow progression and are now up to 35kgs for sets of five. Just feels great. The radiating pain is totally gone. For sure listen to you chiro but keep moving that spine.

Mark Collins

To get a better understanding you would benefit from reading some anatomy that can easily be found online. 

It is difficult to tell what is tight from looking at a picture. It could be the hamstrings or the posterior hip muscles.

For the moment try to bend forward through the hips and pelvis without too much rounding of the low back.