This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Forward Split Stretch - Seiza

Started by Chris Carnazzo, October 27, 2016 · 3 Replies · 119 Views

Chris Carnazzo

Hello.  I've been doing the forward split stretch series for a couple of months.  My biggest challenge is keeping my ankles together in the seiza stretches.  I've always been pigeon toed.  Keeping heels together seems next to impossible.  Any suggestions? 

It's not painful, they just keep falling away from each other.  

Tanya Hill

Hi Chris, 

The most important thing in the seiza stretch is to keep the heels and ankles in alignment with the calf and knee. Try your best to not let your ankles dump out to the side. The heels and ankles may not touch and thats ok, keeping good body lines is best. 

Feel free to post a video, it always helps the coaches eye. ;)

Suzanna McGee

I took a stretch band (or any band, or rope, or belt) and just wrapped it around my ankles/heels to keep them together. It helped tremendously because I was able to relax into the stretch. Now, several weeks and stretches later, they are not falling out as much. I still keep the band for now, until everything is nice and evenly loose. 

John Kiggundu
9 hours ago, Chris Carnazzo said:

Hello.  I've been doing the forward split stretch series for a couple of months.  My biggest challenge is keeping my ankles together in the seiza stretches.  I've always been pigeon toed.  Keeping heels together seems next to impossible.  Any suggestions? 

It's not painful, they just keep falling away from each other.  

I am also not able to get my heels together, but I feel that as my ankles become more flexible this gap will shrink. I used to use a strap to "force" my heels together for the first couple of sessions of FSs, but I no longer do so. Too much work, and just not worth the hassle.

I know that, anatomically speaking, my heels would respond better if I kept the strap. Regardless of this, my ankles have become a lot less tight despite letting my heels flail out a little.